Chapter Nineteen

(A/N: listen to Run Boy Run by Woodkid on repeat while reading this chapter)

We were all standing around the doors. Majority of the Gladers had decided to go. I was standing in a group up front with Newt, Minho, Thomas, Teresa, and Alby. Somehow, Newt had convinced the former leader to join us.

Newt stepped up, facing the group of Gladers. "There's forty one of us. Make sure you've got your weapons. Other than that, there isn't a whole buggin' lot to say. You've all been told the plan. We're gonna fight our way through to the Griever Hole, and Tommy here's gonna punch in his little magic code and then we're gonna get payback on the Creators. Simple as that."

Everybody silently nodded, and I could almost feel the terror.

I had grabbed the blades from my Box I had gotten the first week I had arrived, and put them in my pocket. Nobody knew I had them, and I decided to keep it a secret. I could save someone's life with them.

My weapon of choice was a sword. Most Gladers had bows or knives, but I preferred a sword. It just seemed so familiar in my hands, and I knew how to use it perfectly.

"Shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho asked.

"Go ahead." Newt replied.

Minho cleared his throat and stepped forward. "Be careful. Don't die."

I'm pretty sure we would've laughed if we weren't in such a life threatening situation.

"Great. We're all bloody inspired." Newt rolled his eyes. His pointed over his shoulder at the Maze. "You all know the plan. After two years of being treated like mice, tonight we're making a stand. Tonight we're taking the fight back to the Creators, no matter what we have to go through to get there. Tonight the Griever's better be scared."

I cheered as loud as I could when Newt finished. Then someone else joined in, and then someone else. Soon, all the Gladers were screaming a battle cry. My lung were burning by the time the noise had died down, but it gave me hope. It gave me hope that we could defeat the Grievers.

We all went running out into the Maze. I was in front running next to Newt. Next to Newt was Minho, who was next to Thomas. Chuck was in between Teresa and Thomas. Alby was back with all the other Gladers somewhere.

Except for Teresa and Chuck, our little group in the front was all Runners. Or in Newt's case, retired Runners. Teresa was with to help Thomas put in the code, and Chuck because both Thomas and I saw him as a little brother.

Running was a pain in the ass. At first just my hip was burning, but soon it was my whole right leg. I clenched my teeth, wishing the pain would go away. Newt reached over and grabbed my hand. I wasn't sure if it was because my leg was in pain, or if it was because he was nervous. Either way, I was fine with it.

Eventually we reached a turn that was formed like the letter T. We stopped, and Minho peered around the corner that led to the Cliff.

"There's at least a dozen of them. Maybe fifteen. They're just waiting for us!" He exclaimed, rubbing his eyes.

"Maybe they've already taken a kid back at the Glade. Maybe we can get past them. Why else would they just be sitting-" His attempt to give us hope was cut off, when we heard Grievers coming from where we came. Looking off down the third and final corridor, we saw more Grievers coming towards us. We were surrounded.

Everybody squeezed together in the intersection, not knowing what to do. Nobody made a peep. I was pushed up against Newt, and he was trembling uncontrollably. I tightened my grip on his hand, and he let out a shaky breath.