|:|5|:|

"I hate every~thing!" I sang loudly, voice echoing through the dark street.

"Shut up," Brian said, swinging our held hands back and forth between us. "You know  you had fun today."

"Did I?" I asked flatly. "Did I really, boy? Did I have fun sitting on my ass in a rather ugly gown for hours on end while people I don't care about talked about how much potential I have as a young woman beginning the rest of her life?"

"Well, when you put it that way, you're just being a pessimist," he said. "Look on the bright side. It's all over."

"You only ever look at the bright side, don't you?" I asked. He shrugged.

"No, I see the dark side of everything, too," he said. "I just don't let it get to me. That's how you should go about life, love, when I'm not with you over in America. Whenever you need help with something, think of what I would say. Can you do that?"

"Only if you do the same thing," I said.

"Promise?" Brian asked.

"Promise," I said, holding out a hand. We shook, sealing the deal.

"Like I'd be able to not  hear your voice in my head telling me what to do and what not to do," he joked. I let go of his hand in retaliation. He sighed contently. "I can't believe it's already so dark out."

"What time is it?" I asked. Brian squinted to check his watch.

"Jesus fuck, it's nearly two in the morning," he said quickly. "Do your parents know you're out? Wait- Why weren't they with you at grad?"

"Mum was working, Dad was on board with me skipping," I said. "But I told him I was going out with you and that I'd be back late."

"Ah," Brian said. "Well, let's get home quick anyway. You shouldn't be out this late, love."

"I think you mean early," I said.

"How have we been out for so long?" Brian asked. "We've just been walking home from school, it only takes ten minutes."

"Wait, hold on," I said, walking up to the street sign on the corner. I pointed up to it. "That's why."

"Oh, fuck," Brian said, laughing. "We forgot to turn right."

"Let's go back," I said, chuckling. Brian turned around and waited for me to come back. "I can't believe two idiots like us are being released into the great big world. We can't even take a ten minute walk home without getting lost."

"Can I crash at your house?" Brian asked, yawning. I nodded.

"Sure," I said. I grabbed his hand again and started humming to the tune of which I'd been singing about my hatred. Brian looked over at me and I stopped humming. "What?"

"You should be a singer," he said. "Have I ever told you that before? You're really very good at singing, love."

"I think you've mentioned it once or twice or a million times," I joked. "Whether you mean it or not is a mystery."

Brian chuckled and started swinging our hands back and forth again.

"When did you say your plane was?" He asked.

"Next Monday," I said. "Straight from London to Los Angeles."

"Isn't that a twelve hour ride?" Brian asked. I nodded. "You've only been on a plane once before, love. Are you going to be okay on your own?"

"I'll be fine," I assured him. "And if anything happens, I'll remind myself what you would say. And then probably ignore you, as I usually do."

"Y/n," Brian warned. I laughed.