|:|9|:|

I walked into my new dorm nervously, suitcase rattling against the floor behind me. I glanced up at the number on the door.

9

I knocked on the door before inserting my key and opening it. The front room was neatly decorated in a very minimalistic way, and I made my way through carefully, finding the kitchen and the restroom. One of the doors was open, revealing a completely undecorated room, and the other was closed, but promptly opened to reveal a girl with long dark hair and ridiculously large glasses.

"You must be the roommate," she said in an American accent, which threw me off even though I knew I was in America now. "I'm San. What's up, roomie?"

"I-I'm Y/n," I stuttered. I mentally cursed myself for being nervous and she looked me up and down.

"British accent, a bit timid... Your first time in America?" She asked. I just shrugged. "Well, welcome to your new home, Y/n! I left the place mostly undecorated so you could add your own touch if you felt like it. I just added the little detail here and there so it wasn't so plain. Make the space yours, I don't mind how you do it, as long as it's not completely blank. It'll drive me nuts if it's empty."

"Thanks," I said, releasing a breath I didn't realize I was holding. San smiled at me.

"I hope we get along," she said. "It would suck to room with someone you hate."

"I hope so, too," I said. "Uhm... So, what're you majoring in?"

"English literature," she said. "With a minor in creative writing. You?"

"Creative writing," I said. She smiled.

"So, we've already got something in common," she said. "I was just about to get a snack from that shop down the street. Want to come with?"

"I should probably start unpacking, first," I said, shaking my head.

"Well, do you want me to get you something?" San asked.

"Sure," I said. "Just a donut, please."

"What kind?" She asked.

"Uhm, chocolate?" I asked. San smiled.

"One chocolate donut for Y/n, gotcha," she said happily, bounding out of the dorm. I walked over to the phone and picked it up, dialing the most familiar number to me. The phone was answered almost immediately.

"Woah, slow down," I said teasingly. "I can only imagine you nearly knocked over the table your phone sits on."

"I was waiting," Brian said. "So? You're there?"

"Well, obviously," I said. "I'm in my new dorm, it's pretty bland as of now."

"I can imagine," Brian said. "Do you have a flatmate?"

"Yeah, she just went out to get snacks," I said. "Her name is San, she seems a little hyper, but I like her. So far, at least."

"That's good," Brian said. "You wouldn't believe how boring today has been. I'm going to have an insanely difficult time without you, but at the same time, it was oddly peaceful. No yelling, no being smacked with a magazine, no one touching my hair."

"Aw, Brian, you know you love it," I teased.

"Well, maybe," he said. "How was the flight?"

"Long," I said. "And quiet. I didn't say a word to anyone but the stewardesses. It felt so strange, not having anyone to babble at uselessly."

"I don't even listen to your words half the time," Brian said teasingly.

"Oh, I know," I joked. "I can say anything and you just never register a word I say."