Chapter 7

Annabeth

Annabeth was sitting at the table, a pencil in her hand as she scribbled on the loose leaf paper. Percy sat beside her, keenly looking on as she talked. "So just remember to combine the like terms, like all the x squared, and simplify."

"You are literally speaking another language right now."

Annabeth sighed as she leaned back in her chair. Since last week's fiasco, Percy had appeared to be putting forth more effort in his work. At least when he was with Annabeth during their mentor sessions.

"It's only algebra, Percy"

"Again- another language" Percy replied.

Annabeth only raised her eyebrow at Percy.

"Come on," Percy said. "Let's take a break. I think if I try to do another math problem my brain will explode."

Closing her eyes, Annabeth took a deep breath. Even though Percy had been trying more, he still seemed to have trouble with nearly every subject Annabeth worked with him on.

"Okay...a little break now and again does help."

"Great!" Percy exclaimed, leaning back in his chair as he but his hands behind his head.

"Only five minutes though" she said sternly and Percy nodded eagerly. Annabeth shook her head as she pulled out her agenda.

"Seriously?" Percy said, looking over her shoulder to see Annabeth writing in her schedule for the next few days.

"What?" she asked, looking over at Percy.

"You can't just...relax for like five minutes?"

Annabeth only rolled her eyes. "Of course I can relax."

The signature smirk Percy always wore soon flashed across his face. "Then why aren't you?"

"I said I can relax. But sometimes I choose not to."

"Why?"

"Because I have projects, homework, cheer practice, SAT prep, college essays," she started to list before Percy stopped her.

"Woah! Woah! Woah! Slow down!" Percy took a deep breath before continuing. "No one can handle that much stuff."

"I can." Annabeth said, proudly.

"No, any normal person would probably either pass out and die or explode."

"Well obviously that is not the case, since I am alive and have not exploded," Annabeth said.

"Yet" Percy added, wiggling his eyebrows. Annabeth only shook her head. "I simply know what I want in life, and that means I have a lot to do."

"To die an early death?" Percy asked.

"No," Annabeth said exacerbated. "I have a plan. I know where I want to be five or even ten years from now."

"And where would that be?" Percy asked.

"I'm going to go to Jupiter University on a cheer leading scholarship. And after getting my law degree I'll go and be a lawyer at Athens Law Firm."

"Isn't that your mom's company?" Percy asked.

Annabeth nodded and Percy just shook his head. "So you are following in your mom's footsteps?"

Annabeth narrowed her eyes. "Is there something wrong with that?"

Percy put his hands up. "Hey, nothing wrong with being mommy's perfect little copy, but I'd rather do what I want to do than follow someone else's plan."