The reaping day

I walked down the muddy streets. My blonde hair hanging down my back into a ponytale. I had just finnished work at the factory. And I had walked by the market to get some food for my family. I lived with my younger brother Gavin and my father. I was only 16 but I was the one who had to take care of the family.

Since our district was known for fabrics and sewing, I was the one who got to work the most. But my brother, only 12, used to help the factory to sell the fabrics. But after my mothers death, dad didn't do anything else but drinking. And that wasn't cheap. So I had to hide the money I got and us them for things me and Gavin needed.

"Ashleen!" It was Tressa, my best friend, daughter of the woman who colors the fabric in to the right color. Her mum was a great person. Her red hair, just as Tressa, really showed off her green eyes.

"Are you on your way home?" she say and comes up to me.

"Yes I am, Gavin is waiting for me at home." I say and take my bag with vegetables over my shoulder.

"Okay. Well, Fergus told me to say hi if I met you." she say and give me a smile. I smirked.

Fergus was Tressas big brother. I think he had a crush on me since I started school. But when I started working, he just see me a few times a week.

"Well, say hi from me then." I say and smile at her before I hurry back home.

I open the door and I got the feeling that this wasn't a great day. I could smell liquid from outside and I was as usual right.

Dad lied passed out on the couch and Gavin sat at the kitchen table looking out the window.

"Oh god!" I say running towards Gavin and hugging him. I look at his face and I see a big blue mark on his left cheak.

"I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have left you home alone with him." I say and hug him harder.

This wasn't as we wanted it to be after our mothers death. A drunk freak.

I take Gavin into our bedroom and set him down on my bed. Then I give him a carrot and a wet towel for the brousing.

"Stay here. I'll be right back. I promice." I say and look into his tearfilled eyes.

He nods at me and I give him a smile before I walk out of the room and close the door.

Then I walk up to the couch where dad is lying.

"Dad." I say and wait for an answer.

"Dad!" I say again louder and give him a push. But still no answer.

Now I take the water bucket and throw it on him. Now he wakes up and start shouting.

"Dad! Listen to me!" I say loud and he stops infront of me. He was taller and bigger. But I couldn't let him act like this.

"You got to stop with this! You hit Gavin!" I shout and he just walk up to the kitchen and starts searching for a new bottle.

"Dad! You are not listening!" I say again and throw my bag to the ground.

Now he turn around and look at me.

I had tears in my eyes but I just pressed it away.

"Don't shout at your father!" he say and take a bottle that he found atlast. Then he walk back to the couch.

"Yes I will! You are not a real father! Real fathers don't hurt their children and drink to forgett about their problems. So stop that!" I say and grab his bottle and throw it to the wall.

But I shouldn't have done that.

Cause that only made him mad. And now he was furious.

And I know that this was gonna hurt. But I would do that, for Gavin.