Chapter 11: Singing, Games, and Bravery

It had been around 10 days since Zach, Mike and Elizabeth's disappearance. They knew at home hope for them coming home was probably disapating pretty fast. They didn't even know if anyone was looking for them and they were wondering what they thought happened. After all how could they have clue what happened to them. After eating quickly they began to walk again. Liz planned on trying to be braver, no crying, no complaining. She decided not to tell them about her dream to start being a little more braver. They walked and walked all day long.

"We should sing" said Liz.

"Haha, what?" asked Mike

"Sing it will give us something to do" said Liz.

Zach smiled.

"No" said Mike.

"Fine I will" said Liz, as she began to sing Long Walk Home by Bruce Springsteen, she new every verse it was one of her favorite songs by him. Her father was a big fan of Springsteen and had gotten Liz to like him as well.

She was singing, but not to loud. Sooner or later Zach joined in. They kept singing and singing. Then Mike joined in. They walked and walked across the rocks and dirt. Taking a long walk home. They had found some form of entertainment. Zach put his arm around Liz's shoulder and they walked singing as Mike took the lead.

"Lets take a break" said Mike.

"No" said Liz, "We can keep going until dark."

Mike and Zach shot each other a look. She never complained about a break before.

"Ok whatever" said Mike.

They walked and walked. After awhile Mike stopped and told Zach to take the lead, he went to the back where Liz was.

"Why don't you want to take any breaks" asked Mike.

"I don't need any" said Liz, "I know thats why you say break, you don't need one, but you want to make sure Im ok."

"Liz?" questioned Mike, "Whats really the reason?"

"Nothing really I am fine" she said.

"I find that hard to believe" said Mike, "You don't need to be any braver then you already are."

Liz shrugged and ran ahead to Zach. Mike stopped and looked on. He didn't know what to do, he knew she was trying to be braver and what not, but she knew it was getting to her and that she was going to break down eventually.

He then caught back up with them.

"Liz you need a break, if you don't want to stop walking fine, but then Im carrying you" said Mike.

She sighed and hopped onto his back.

"Thanks" she wispered in his ears.

Liz had never been super close with either her cousins. They loved and cared for each other of course, but she never really thought she knew enough about them or thought they knew much about her.

"Lets play a game" said Liz.

"What kinda game?" asked Zach.

"A question slash guessing game" responded Liz.

"What do you mean?" asked Mike.

"I ask a question about myself and you try to answer" said Liz, "Who ever gets it right asks a question about themselves."

"Ok" said Zach.

"What's my favorite color?" she asked.

"Orange" they said in unison.

"I really think you wouldn't know that" said Liz.

"We know more than you think" said Mike smiling back at her.

"Whats my birthday?" asked Zach.

Neither of them responded.

"Come on guys really?" said Zach

They laughed a little.

"What my middle name?" asked Mike

"David" said Liz.

"Ya, good job" said Mike.

"Whats my birthday?" asked Liz

"October something" said Mike

Just then Mike realized it was October and he assumed she realized it was to. She didn't respond.

"Liz?" said Mike

"When's you birthday?" asked Zach.

"October 27th" she said quietly.

That was in four days

No one knew what to say, but then Liz....

"Hey its ok no big deal" said Liz

"I promise, we will be home for your birthday" said Mike

"Really?" she asked

"Yes" said Mike

He realized that was a stupid promise to make, because he didn't know when they would get home or if they would ever, but he wanted to give her some hope.