"Can you see me?"

TW: Verbal abuse, physical abuse,

I closed my eyes as he pushed me away from him.

'YOU WILL REGRET EVERYTHING YOU HAVE EVER DONE, VIRGIL'

I know.

I'm sorry.

I felt him shove me against the mirror. Hatred glittering in his cold, odd yellow eye.

Virgil POV

I was pacing around the mirror when the creaking of the door interrupted me. I slowly made my way over to the screen to see who was coming this time. It was the youngest child, I think his name is Roman, and he was coming to put makeup on. I must say, he's pretty brave to put it on. If I had even thought about putting it on when I was out, I would have been beaten to death.

"Stupid, Princey, doing his makeup again." I said. It's not like he could hear me. No one could. No one even knew that I could see them, which made things very awkward when they are just out of the shower.

But, to me surprise, me stared at me. For a moment, I thought that maybe he had seen me, but no one ever sees me. There must just be a spider on the mirror. At least, I thought that until he turned around and then stared back at me.

"I-I'm sorry?" He said. I felt my blood run cold.

"Can y-you can hear me?" I whispered. He nodded, still staring

"Can you see me?" I asked, louder this time. He nodded.

I couldn't believe it. For the first time since 1947, someone could see me.

"I-I, oh my god, I can't believe this." I said.

He stared at me.

"How often do people see you?" He asked, curiosity mixed into his words.

"Never." I replied.

"O-oh." He said. Then, he reached out his hand to touch the mirror.

"So you're trapped in there?" He asked me. I nodded.

"Yeah. I've been trapped in here since 1947, so maybe, 30 years?" I said. He shook his head and laughed.

"You're joking, right?" I shook my head in confusion. Suddenly, he looked worried.

"It's 2018." He said quietly.

I stared at him. I quickly did the maths in my head. I had been trapped in the mirror for 71 years.

"I-I'm so sorry, I-I can't imagine what it must have been like for you." He rambled. I shrugged it off.

"I'm Roman, by the way."

"Virgil." I replied.

He smiled shyly.

"W-well, I was going to put my makeup on, but I feel awkward doing in with you there." He said.

"Hey," I said, "Just ignore me. I've been here for ages and it hasn't affected you at all." He nodded and started putting his eyeshadow on.

When he finished, he straightened up and looked at me.

"I have to go school now, but when I get back I'll come see you, ok?" Roman said. I nodded and smiled at him. He smiled back and walked out the door. And, once again, I was left alone.