Prologue

Thank you for reading this eBook. The story "For Good" is under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. Rights are reserved by the owner and creater of this work, Athena Leigh, and any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, manipulation, infringement of this copyright is punishable by law.

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved ©

~ . ~ . ~. ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ .~ . ~ . ~ . ~ .~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

I ran. I sprinted despite the bag in my hand and the baby I now carry. I remember the night when it happened like the back of my hand.

It was only after that we realized we hadn't taken any precautions.

Days later, he wasn’t talking to me and it hurt. I felt lost. Like he’d taken a piece of me with him. He wasn’t showing up at school and he never called or texted anymore. Just to add to it, I was pregnant. I decided to run.

Earlier that night…

            I packed my bags. The bump on my stomach shouldn’t be there. Two weeks and yet it could be a month. At least! What the heck was going on! My mind wandered as I hastily shoved things into my duffle. My wallet had about forty dollars. It isn’t much. But I have to get out of here and it’s all I have. I should be thanking my lucky stars my parents haven’t noticed the signs yet. Or the bump. No, they didn’t even seem to realize my sudden increase in appetite or my vomiting.

            Throwing the bag around my neck, I took the risk of a window from the second floor. But there’s an over hang above a porch. So my plan was to step out, walk along the overhang, lower myself over the edge, and hope for the best. It wasn’t far, but I could still land wrong. And when you’re on the run, you don’t want to be injured. I’ve done it before and never gotten hurt, but I’m worried that if I do something wrong; my baby would be the one to have to pay for it.

            I lowered myself and felt that familiar falling sensation before gracefully landing on the grass below. I removed the bag from around my neck and gripped it in my hand. I ran to Grace’s house. It was about a half a mile away, and by the time I got there I was out of breath and dizzy. I guess that is why pregnant women aren’t supposed to exert themselves.

            She threw open the door after my knocking. It probably sounded like a break in. She had this determined, yet wild look in her eyes. She looked at me with annoyance, disgust, and shock. They annoyance was clearly because of the hour, the shock, well because was here. The disgust. I was oblivious. I didn’t know. Did she know I was pregnant?  I blushed and thanked that the darkness coved most of it. But then I rushed over to her and caught her in a hug. “Grace! You have to help me!” I was crying. She pulled me the porch swing that her family had on the lawn. She sat there holding my hand and let me cry.

            I’m not sure how long I sat there. It could have been hours. But when I finally composed myself enough to speak with out stuttering or breaking down again. After four attempts, it really does get annoying. Finally though I was able to get out my story to Grace. She sat there quietly, her eyes bulging more and more as I went on. At some point while I was talking my hand went subconsciously to my little bump.

I still do not understand—at all—how it’s there.

I finished my story and sniffled. I used the hand she wasn’t holding to wipe my tears away. Her first words were not what I expected, and yet long overdue.

“Audrey. How could you be so stupid?” she whispered I couldn’t answer so I just shook my head and she went on. “You’re fifteen for crying out loud! How is a sophomore supposed to take care of a baby? You’ll have to drop out or be home-schooled.” I sniffled but she kept going. “Audrey. Look at me!” I lifted my head. “What are you going to do?”