7. I'm So Confused

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved ©

Chapter 6 —

“Can I come in? We need to talk.”

            “Of course. Get in here.” I walked in and sat on her bed. Her roommate wasn’t here but Liam was. I smiled.

            “Hi Audrey.” He greeted.

            “Hi Liam. Get out.” His eyes widened. I glared. He sniffed—what’s with everyone sniffing me today?!—and stood. He looked at me uneasily, like he knew I was in trouble.

            He nodded and pecked Alex on the lips. “I’ll let you girls talk.” He closed the door behind him and Alex turned on me. She kneeled at my feet taking my hands. Hers were unnaturally hot as always. She, Liam, and Jordan have that in common. Now that I think about it, Tyler and Grace are warm too. Not nearly as much, but still, warmer than I am.

            Her hand came to my cheek, wiping the tears I hadn’t meant to let spill away.

            “What happened?” she asked me. Before really thinking about it, I launched into the story. Not really thinking. I winced as I told her about kissing Tyler. She grimaced at that one, not that I blame her.

            She never once talked. She and Jordan both have that patience you could only wish you had. Whereas if the wait for a table at a restaurant is longer than ten minutes I’m ready to walk out and find somewhere else.

            I was scared when I finished. She could send me to the wacky shack too. It’s not only Jordan with that option. I looked at her and took a very shaky breath.

            “I know I’m crazy but…but…” I couldn’t speak. My body was overwhelmed by sobs and exhaustion. She laid me down and I—as corny as it sounds—cried myself to sleep.

            The next morning I was surprised to wake up in my own bed. I vaguely remember Alex carrying me inside and Jordan taking me from her. I remember shivering at his touch and I remember his eyes darkening (with…what the heck?! Was that lust!?) When Alex wasn’t looking. Oh jeez, I really am crazy! He laid me in bed, kissing my forehead before turning and leaving. Then I’d fallen back into slumber.

            I heard yelling downstairs. And something shattered. Crap. What’s happening?

Oh my God. Zombies.

            “Damn it Jordan!” Alex. I rolled my eyes. But what’s she so angry about? Then I remembered yesterday’s events and shivered. “How could you be so irresponsible?!”

            “Dear sister, in case you’ve forgotten. There’s a teenage girl upstairs trying to sleep. If you could lower your voice, I’m sure she’d appreciate it.” Jordan responded whilst fighting to keep his voice even, and still his voice was dripping with sarcasm. She sighed angrily and continued her rant.

            “Jordan. How could you not do a background check before enrolling Audrey there? You know it’s full of Moonshadow pack werewolves! I’m surprised none of them tried to make a move on her yet. You know most of them are sex-driven idiots. And they wouldn’t miss an opportunity to mess with us. You know how furious they were when we let a rogue who passed through their land join our pack with no punishment! My mate or not, they would’ve killed Liam had they caught him.” She sniffed. Whoa. Whoa. Back it up. Mate? As in those soulmates that you read about in fairytales? Liam’s her…mate?