eight

⁀➷

⁀➷

To Harry's dismay, Ron's new aggression did not wear off over the next few days. It coincided with his Keeping skills, which made him still more aggressive, so that during the final Quidditch practice before Saturday's match, he failed to save every single goal the Chasers aimed at him, but bellowed at everybody so much that he reduced Demelza Robins to tears.

"You shut up and leave her alone!" shouted Peakes, who was about two-thirds Ron's height, though admittedly carrying a heavy bat.

"ENOUGH!" bellowed Harry, who had seen Ginny glowering in Ron's direction and, remembering her reputation as an accomplished caster of the Bat-Bogey Hex, soared over to intervene before things got out of hand. "Peakes, go pack the Bludgers. Demelza, pull yourself together, you played really well today. Ron..." he waited until the rest of the team were out of earshot before saying it, "you're my best mate, but carry on treating the rest of them like this and I'm going to kick you off the team."

"I resign. I'm pathetic."

"You're not pathetic and you're not resigning!" said Harry fiercely, seizing Ron by the front of his robes. "You can save anything when you're on form, it's a mental problem you've got!"

"You calling me mental?"

"Yeah, maybe I am!" Harry exclaimed.

They glared at each other for a moment, then Ron shook his head wearily. "I know you haven't got any time to find another Keeper, so I'll play tomorrow, but if we lose, and we will, I'm taking myself off the team."

Ron stalked off, broom in hand and head hung low.

"Ron?" Kimberly questioned. "Are you all right?"

"No, I'm not all right!" he snapped.

She flinched slightly, but walked closer to him, putting a hand on his shoulder while her other hand cupped his cheek. "I saw what happened. It won't your fault. Everyone has their bad days."

"I seem to be having a lot of those," he muttered.

Kimberly offered him a smile. "Yeah, it happens. Sixth year is the worst year, but it'll get better come Seventh year. At least, it has for the girls and I. Why don't you get dressed and we can sneak into the kitchens before dinner for some dessert?"

He sighed wistfully. "A chocolate muffin sounds nice."

"Great, it's a - " She nearly said date, but she caught herself. " - plan. It's a plan then," she said nervously. I'll be waiting right here."

He nodded and scurried away to the changing rooms, and his steps felt lighter than usual.