twelve

⁀➷

⁀➷

The students were back at Hogwarts after the New Year. Ron snd Kimberly hadn't had much time to catch up together, and it didn't help that Kimberly was too shy to approach him when he was with his friends.

The next morning Harry confided in both Ron and Hermione the task that Dumbledore had set him. Ron thought that Harry was unlikely to have any trouble with Slughorn at all.

"He loves you," he said over breakfast, waving an airy forkful of fried egg. "Won't refuse you anything, will he? Not his little Potions Prince. Just hang back after class this afternoon and ask him."

Hermione sat beside the two, nose deep in a book. "He must be determined to hide what really happened if Dumbledore couldn't get it out of him," she said in a low voice. "Horcruxes... Horcruxes... I've never even heard of them."

"You haven't?" Harry questioned, believing she might have given him a clue.

"They must be really advanced Dark Magic, or why would Voldemort have wanted to know about them? I think it's going to be difficult to get the information, Harry, you'll have to be very careful about how you approach Slughorn, think out a strategy," advised Hermione.

"Ron reckons I should just hang back after Potions this afternoon," said Harry.

"You could talk to Slughorn after class, but we shouldn't be there," she suggested. "Anyway," she said, closing her book, "how are you and Kimberly?"

Ron choked on the fried egg in his mouth at the mention of her name. Hermione rolled her eyes as he smacked his chest with his fists.

"We're - " Cough " - all right, I think. We haven't really gotten to see each other lately."

"How are you and Sally then?" Harry asked.

Hermione's cheeks flushed. "Oh - Well, that's - We're fine, I suppose."

"Looks like you're the only one without a girlfriend," teased Ron. "What about Jollie?"

Harry scrunched his nose up in distaste. "Don't really think she's my type, mate."

Ron shrugged. "Suit yourself."