seventeen

⁀➷

⁀➷

"For the last time, just forget about Malfoy," Hermione reprimanded.

The trio was sitting in a sunny corner of the courtyard after lunch. Hermione and Ron were both clutching a Ministry of Magic leaflet - Common Apparition Mistakes and How to Avoid Them - because they were taking their tests that very afternoon.

"Harry," Kimberly called out, walking toward them with a scroll of parchment in her hand. "I was asked to give you this."

Harry's heart sank as he took the small scroll of parchment.

"See you later, Ron," she said with a smile on her face.

Ron's mouth was open and his hands were frozen in front of him with the leaflet in them. Hermione jabbed his shoulder with his elbow, causing him to hiss in pain.

"Thank you, Kimberly. How is Sally?" Hermione questioned.

"Oh, good! She's been asking about you as well. You two should spend some more time together. She may be able to give you some pointers about Apparating."

Hermione nodded. "Good idea, Kimberly."

"I'll leave you three at it," she responded, turning on her heel and walking away.

Ron sighed.

"Idiot," muttered Hermione before looking over at Harry. "Dumbledore?"

"He said we wouldn't be having any more lessons until I got the memory!" Harry exclaimed.

"Maybe he wants to check on how you're doing?" she suggested.
Harry unrolled the parchment.

Dear Harry, Ron, and Hermione,

Aragog died last night. Harry and Ron, you met him, and you know how special he was. Hermione, I know you'd have liked him. It would mean a lot to me if you'd nip down for the burial later this evening. I'm planning on doing it 'round dusk - that was his favorite time of day. I know you're not supposed to be out that late, but you can use the cloak. Wouldn't ask, but I can't face it alone.

Hagrid

"Look at this," said Harry, handing the note to Hermione.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, " she said, scanning it before passing it to Ron, who read it through.

"He's mental!" Ron exclaimed furiously. "That thing told its mates to eat Harry and me - Told them to help themselves! And now Hagrid expects us to go down there and cry over its horrible hairy body?"

"It's not just that," said Hermione. "He's asking us to leave the castle at night and he knows security's a million times tighter and how much trouble we'd be in if we were caught."

"We've been down to see him by night before," interrupted Harry.

"Yes, but for something like this?" asked Hermione. "We've risked a lot to help Hagrid out, but after all - Aragog's dead. If it were a question of saving him - "

"I'd want to go even less," Ron retorted. "You didn't meet him, Hermione. Believe me, being dead will have improved him a lot."

Harry took the note back and noticed tears had caused the ink to blotch and blend together.

"Harry, you can't be thinking of going," exasperated Hermione. "It's such a pointless thing to get detention for."

Harry sighed. "Yeah, I know. I suppose Hagrid'll have to bury Aragog without us."

"Yes, he will," said Hermione, looking relieved. "Look, Potions will be almost empty this afternoon, with us all off doing our tests. Try and soften Slughorn up a bit then!"

"Fifty-seventh time lucky, you think?" retorted Harry.

"Lucky," said Ron suddenly. "Harry, that's it - get lucky!"

"What'd you mean?" asked Harry.

"Use your lucky potion!" Ron exclaimed.

"Ron, that's - that's it!" Hermione exclaimed. "Of course! Why didn't I think of it?"

"Felix Felicis?" Harry questioned. "I don't know. I was sort of saving it."

"What for?" demanded Ron.

"What on earth is more important than this memory, Harry?" asked Hermione.

"Well... Okay. If I can't get Slughorn to talk this afternoon, I'll take some Felix and have another go this evening."