thirteen

⁀➷

⁀➷

The night before Ron's birthday, Kimberly made an executive decision to sneak out of her tower and meet up with Sally and Jane. The other two girls couldn't believe their ears when Kimberly told them of the plan of breaking into the kitchens in order to bake a cake.

"I still can't believe you snuck out," whispered Jane. "What has Weasley done to you?"

"Just be glad he hasn't gotten into her knickers," murmured Sally. "Too young for that."

"Her knickers?" questioned Jane. "They've barely kissed. Besides, he wouldn't know the first thing to do in bed."

Kimberly's cheeks felt scorching hot. "Girls, please stop this conversation."

"All right, all right, don't get your knickers in a twist," retorted Jane.

"Thank Helga," whispered Kimberly. "Come, we're here."

The girls poked their heads into the kitchens before walking in quietly. There were ingredients laid out on a table in front of them.

"I'm friends with one of the House Elves, you see. Her name's Darcy, and she's done me this favor," explained Kimberly.

"You should talk to Hermione about elf rights sometime. She always needs someone to bounce ideas back and forth," explained Sally.

"I'll keep that in mind. Now, can you girls help me with this cake?"

"Of course," answered Jane wistfully.

The girls' outer appearances and personalities often fooled people. Kimberly was kind and loyal, but her loyalty to the people she cared about could cause her to insult others who don't feel the same. Sally was a talented singer who walked as if she was gliding gracefully across ice, but she was afraid of her own voice as well as what others thought of her. Jane appeared to be mean and cold because her trust had to be earned, but once it was, she was a sweet person who would murder for those she loved.

Jane was also the only baker in the trio. Sally would outright burn anything she attempted to make in a kitchen, while Kimberly's nerves would get the best of her and cause a large mess.

"Still don't know why I'm here," chimed Sally.

"Moral support," answered Kimberly, pouring the flour into the bowl.

"Kim, you added an extra cup," said Jane.

"Oops."

Jane sighed. "Long night ahead of us, girls."