{6} - Sisyphus & His Boulder

"Hi!" Bethany grinned at Sebastian.
"Hi. What's got you in such a good mood?"
"I don't know. I had two cups of coffee and a coke today so I think really I'm just super hyper 'cos I hardly ever drink that much caffeine. It's been pouring like all day." She turned the camera so he could see. "Oh, and I totally tried to cut my thumb off this evening." She showed him her thumb, wrapped in gauze and medical tape. "No stitches required, but lots of blood. And now I'm watching Mary Poppins and eating salad!"
"Sounds like you've had an eventful day."
"Very. What about you?"
"Well compared to yours it was pretty boring."
"Everything is boring when compared with me."
"Very humble." She giggled and he smiled. "Alright, I have a confession." He sighed and closed his eyes. "I drank almost an entire bottle of gin yesterday."
"Oh." Bethany frowned and paused her movie, "Why'd you do it, baby?"
"I got in a stupid fucking argument with Remington and then I saw the bottle, which has been sitting on the counter since tour started, and I don't know. I just needed something to take the edge off. And the worst part is drinking almost that whole bottle didn't even get me drunk. Just a little more than tipsy." He groaned, "Stupid." He hit the side of his bunk.
"It's okay. It's just one slip up. We all make mistakes." He still wouldn't look at her. "Look at me. Please." He met her gaze and she smiled softly. "It'll be okay."
"Three and a half weeks in and I'm already breaking." He muttered and laid his arm over his face.
"About a month after I started therapy I was supposed to be working on keeping my stress levels down, but it was a lot of work and I was already busy with school so I didn't even bother. I passed out five times in one week before Mom and Dad stepped in and told me I had to try. The harder I tried the less I passed out, but at almost eight I had a lot of other things on my mind and I didn't like to put the effort in. Now it's never my fault. I do what I can and when I do have an episode it's just because even with everything I did I still got stressed out. The point being, the harder you try the easier it will get. Eventually you'll reach a point where seeing the bottle won't tempt you at all. It won't be easy and it won't be fun. But you can do it. And slip ups are inevitable. Think of it this way. You made it three weeks before breaking. Now let's see if you can make it another three weeks. And when that three weeks is up we'll see if you can do it again. Small steps. It's like. . ." She paused, thinking, "Like climbing the stairs. Maybe you've only gone a few steps up and your foot slipped and you almost fell all the way back down. But you didn't. You're heart's racing and your back is pressed against the wall and you're looking down the stairs wondering what it would've been like to fall down, wondering how much it would hurt, but you're still on the stairs so you take a deep breath and keep going."
"Sometimes I feel more like that guy pushing a boulder up a hill. Like it's all pointless and the boulder is just going to roll back down when I'm almost to the top."
"Sisyphus was being punished. He had to push that boulder uphill for eternity. You're situation is different."
"Doesn't always feel like it."
"Well, no, but life sometimes feels like hell doesn't it? So sure, maybe right now it feels like you're pushing a boulder, but eventually it'll be like tossing a pebble. You'll chuck it to the top and go on your way."
"What if the boulder crushes me before it becomes a pebble?"
"It won't. That's what I'm here for, silly. To encourage you to keep going! And to help carry the weight." He smiled.
"I didn't realize you were so good at the whole pep talk thing."
"I didn't either, but I guess Andy gave me enough similar talks that I figured it out." She yawned.
"Tired?"
"Little bit." She yawned again. "I miss you."
"I miss you too, baby girl." She blushed at the nickname and giggled a little bit.
"It's ridiculous how much I miss you. Like we haven't even been together that long, but I miss you so fucking much."
"Twenty six days."
"That's too many."
"I waited five months to kiss you. I can wait twenty six days."
"What?"
"Five months between Warped ending and the party on New Year's Eve."
"Oh." She yawned again.
"Go to bed."
"But I want to keep talking to you."
"You can't talk if you're asleep."
"You raise a good point. Oh. I never finished my movie."
"Mary Poppins can wait." Bethany yawned turned the tv off.
"Okay, night Sebster."
"Night baby girl." She blew him a kiss and ended the call.

———

bennyharris

❤️liked by sebastiandanzig, thejulietsimms and 1,414 othersbennyharris LIKE SISYPHUS AND HIS BOULDERWE ALL MUST FACE OUR CRIMESLOOK AT THEM HEAD ONAND DARE TO MEET THEIR EYESTHOUGH TODAY IT SEEMS LIKE HELLTOMORROW IS A NEW DAYA DAY OF TRIAL AND ER...

bennyharris LIKE SISYPHUS AND HIS BOULDER
WE ALL MUST FACE OUR CRIMES
LOOK AT THEM HEAD ON
AND DARE TO MEET THEIR EYES
THOUGH TODAY IT SEEMS LIKE HELL
TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY
A DAY OF TRIAL AND ERROR
A MESSAGE TO SAY
THOUGH YOU STRUGGLE UP THE HILL
PUSHING MORE WEIGHT THAN YOU THOUGHT POSSIBLE
YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY
YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE ME.
a poem by me.
sebastiandanzig

Load more comments
user1 I need a book of these poems
user2 you're such a good poet
user3 I wonder why she tagged sebastiandanzig
sebastiandanzig ❤️😘
user4 Aww that's really sweet Benny
krisisaverted you're a poet, you're an artist, you can sing, and play drums is there nothing you can't do?
user5 she plays ukulele too krisisaverted
user6 😂😂😂
user7 YESSSSSS!!!!!! user1