{15} - Leaving On A Jet Plane

"Think you have enough stuff? Jeez." Bethany said taking in the stiff piled all over the bed.
"I blame my mom."
"Wow."
"No. Okay, let me explain."
"Just throw your mom under the bus why don't you."
"From the time I was little she told me when you travel, no matter where you're going or how long you'll be gone, you pack for all contingencies. Take a hat, take a coat, take an umbrella. Two pair of shoes, a bar of soap, you're toothbrush and tooth paste, take your swimsuit, take bandaids, at least three pair of socks not counting the ones you wear the day you leave."
"Why?" He shrugged and continued packing his suitcase.
"I think it's something her mom did."
"Have you ever even worn this?" She asked, picking up his hat and putting it on her head.
"Yes I have. I don't wear it all the time. I'm not Emerson, but I don't leave without it." She tilted her head up so she could see him under the hat and smiled. "Weirdo."
"But I'm you're weirdo."
"Yeah you are." He took the hat off her head and put it in his suitcase. He continued folding things and placing them in the suitcase while Bethany hummed The Beatles and gave unhelpful advice. She laid on the bed and chucked things in Sebastian's direction when he asked her to.

———

"Are you sure you have everything?" Bethany asked softly from her place on the bed. Sebastian nodded and zipped up his suitcase before standing it up and dragging it out of the room and leaving it by the front door. Bethany followed him out into the living room. He grabbed his keys off the counter and took his house key off. He offered it to Bethany.
"So you can water my orchids and you can stay here if you want." She accepted the key and, having nowhere else to put it, dropped into her bra. Seeing the look Sebastian gave her she said,
"I don't have pockets and my purse is by the door. Don't judge me." He laughed lightly and sat down beside her.
"I'm gonna miss you, weirdo." He wrapped an arm around her and pressed his lips to her forehead. She rested against his chest and sighed.
"I'm gonna miss you too." She sighed again, then she looked up and met his eyes. He smiled. "Wanna watch Umbrella Academy?"
"Sure." She leaned forward and grabbed the remote off the coffee table. Then she moved so she could lay her head in Sebastian's lap and stretch her legs out. Sebastian absentmindedly ran his fingers through her hair. Against her will Bethany's eyes slipped shut just to pop open again so she didn't miss anything.
"Who's your favorite character?" She asked, looking up at him. He had his elbow on the arm of the couch and his chin in his hand. He looked tired and she didn't doubt that he was.
"I dunno. Probably Klaus. Or Ben."
Mm. I like Klaus too, but I also really like Hazel. I admit the Hazel and Agnes thing was kinda weird at first and I thought there might be some ulterior motive. But I'm starting to think he does actually love her."
"A love founded on donuts."
"Mmhm." He looked down at her and smiled. "What?" She asked.
"Nothing." He yawned.
"Liar liar pantelones del fuego." He laughed and she smiled. He yawned again. "I think we should go to be when this episode is over."
"Probably." He agreed. He went back to running his fingers through her hair.

———

Bethany was vaguely aware of the alarm going off and Sebastian rolling out of bed. He turned on the bathroom light, providing enough light for him to get ready, but not disturb Bethany. She watched as he got dressed and gathered the last of his things. He came over and kissed her forehead.
"Go back to sleep, baby girl."
"I 's 'pposed to take you to the airport." She mumbled and started to get up.
"You-"
"Gimme a minute." She sat up and yawned, running her fingers through her wild hair. She stood and stretched her arms before grabbing her hair elastic off the nightstand and pulling her hair up into a bun. She yawned again. "Lemme grab my sweater and I'll be good." Sebastian nodded and flicked off the bathroom light before leaving the bedroom with Bethany behind him. The only light came from the single bulb over the stove. She grabbed her sweater off the back of the couch and pulled it on. Then she carried one of Sebastian's bags while he took the other one. They stepped out into the hall and both blinked in the bright light. The elevator ride was quiet aside from the occasional yawn. Bethany was leaning against Sebastian in order to stay upright. He smiled softly.
"You should've stayed in bed, Bumblebee."
"Mm. No. Gotta take you to the airport." She yawned. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and placed a gently kiss on her forehead.