Chapter 11

Nikki POV

Max and I had decided that I would stay in our former cabin and wait for Nerris here. He went to Harrisons cabin about an hour ago and I was waiting for Nerris. I was lying on my bed when I heard a knock on the door. I ran downstairs and opened the door, but instead of Nerris, Neil stood in front of me.

"Hey Neil! How can I help you?" I asked in my usual jumpy tone.

"Is Max around?" he asked scratching the back of his neck.

My smile faded a bit. I haven't really seen Neil in the past couple days, and when he was around, he was always with Max. I kinda missed being close with him.

"N-No... sorry.. He went into Harrisons cabin since Nerris broke up with him."

"Nerris broke up with Max?! Max had a girlfriend?!" Neil half-screamed, his eyes widening with shock.

I mentally face-palmed before saying "no you dingus! She broke up with Harrison! Aren't you supposed to be the smart one?"

"Oh, so.. Max doesn't have a girlfriend then?" he asked, eyeing me suspiciously.

I kinda froze. How did he know? Did Max speak to him? No... we haven't left each others sides since the lake... I decided not to tell him. Besides, it will be better to tell him that we were together, well, together.

"N-no. not that I know of.." I looked down at my feet as the lie slipped out.

"Okay, well, I'll go see Max. I'll see you tomorrow Nikki!" he said over his shoulder as he walked away. I felt kind of hollow. Neil and I used to be best friends, but as they got older they drifted apart. It wouldn't be the same without him to complete the trio! They've been together since they were 10! Would things between them ever go back to normal? I really hope so...

"Hey Nikki! Why you standing there for?" I snapped out of my trance to realise Nerris was standing in front of me, suitcase in hand.

"Sorry Nerris, just thinking is all. Come in! Ill show you your room!" I chirped, bouncing into the cabin and up the stairs. I walked into the spare room and sat on the bed.

"Thanks for understanding my situation Nikki. You really are an amazing friend." said Nerris, placing her suitcase on the floor and sitting next to me on the bed.

"It's no problem! I'm glad I could help. Although I can't say Max was too happy about this." I chuckled.

"Understandable. Who would want to share a cabin with that annoying man-whore anyway?" Nerris hissed, clearly still had at her ex boyfriend.

"Nerris, I know you're angry with him... but don't you think you're overreacting a bit?" I asked, a bit embarrassed.

"Overreacting?? He was willing to throw away our relationship for a girl who kissed him on a dare and didn't even see why that was wrong! Of course I don't blame you Nikki you did what you had to do and I fully understand that now." she said, placing her hand on mine.

We sat in silence for a while, just sitting there, before Nerris finally said

"Thanks Nik, you really helped me. I know I was angry with you and everything, but you still stuck by me. You're a true friend and I don't know how to repay you for your kindness. You never got mad or annoyed like Harrison. You never made me feel weak or small like he did. You're... you're perfect." she said, smiling up at me with round eyes. She could be so dramatic sometimes!

"Aww Nerris, you know I would do anything for y-"

I was cut off by a pair of soft lips smashing into mine.

A/N

...please don't kill me