Nine

Hey guys this chapter is dedicated to Jane Austen's novel Pride and Prejudice, as I decided to re-read it and I am currently falling in love with it again. The songs that helped inspire this chapter were Where's My Love - SYML and Heart of The Darkness - Tommee Profitt and Sam Tinnesz. Please enjoy, and remember to comment and vote!

Caroline's POV

My phone dinged. I watched it for a moment, sure nothing good would come from looking at it. 

I picked it up anyway. 

Leo - We need to talk

When I saw the text message I sucked in a breath, fighting the force in my head that wanted to pull me back into the realm of memories and denial. 

I texted him back. 

Caroline - Where do you want to meet?

I waited, an anxious thump in my chest keeping my attention on the screen. 

Leo - Not in person. I can't Caroline. Not yet. 

A part of my heart broke at the use of my full name. It wasn't as sweet as the "Care" I had come to expect. 

Leo - I need to know why you lied to me. 

Caroline - I didn't

Leo - You're kidding right? You ever said you weren't human. I think I would remember that.

Caroline - It's a long story. I didn't lie. 

A part of my heart ached to tell him I didn't know. But it would be pointless. I know Leo, and until he comes around, he'l think I'm making excuses. Until he wanted to hear it, he wouldn't. 

Leo - I just think it's weird all of this started when Aiden showed up. 

Caroline - Don't blame him, you don't know him. You don't know what he's been through. 

Leo - Yeah, I'm sure he's been through a whole lot. 

Caroline - What is your problem with him, this isn't his fault. 

Leo - Why are you so fucking obsessed with him? You've only known him for what, 2 weeks?

Caroline - I'm not obsessed with him. Even if I was, it is none of your business who I'm interested in, you don't own me

Leo - yeah, you've made that perfectly clear. 

Caroline - What's that supposed to mean?

Caroline - Leo?

I threw my phone and watched it hit the wall. My mind was fuming and I wanted to scream until my voice went out. Instead, I walked away from the broken phone and to the door. 

"Come on Luce," I called and grabbed the keys, making my way to the car. 

-----------------------------------------

"And what does that mama of yours say about all of this." Bailey asked. 

When I got mad the only place I could think of going was Bailey's Bookstore, since she's the only mom figure I have left. 

"Mom's on a business trip," I said quietly, "and she hasn't been home in a few days. But I think mom would want me to give up anything for Leo."

"And you don't agree?" 

"I don't think I should be expected to give up who I am or my happiness for any one."

"Ah." Bailey said with a nod, and I let out a relieved breath. "Well, I don't think Leo will stay gone long. Everyone knows that boy needs you to breathe."

"I don't know, Bee." I said, my voice breaking, "He's really mad this time."

Lucy laid her head on my thigh and when I scratched behind her ear she licked my arm. 

"Is this by any chance about that British boy that was in here the other day?"

"Hm?" I asked, pressing her to continue.

"You two looked at each other in such a weird way."

"What do you mean?"

"You both looked shocked, but hungry. Hungry to be near the other. It was pretty weird to see between a stranger and a girl who's like my own daughter."

"His name is Aiden," I told her.

"Who's side is he on?"

"I don't know," I said, my head down.

"You aren't okay are you, Sweetie?"

I felt a tear slide down my cheek, and the burning in my throat that accompanied the pain. 

"Tell me how you feel, Honey,"

"I feel abandoned," I cried, "I feel like while all this has happened I've made all my decisions considering him. And now that I just need him to be there, I just need to see him, he isn't there. I feel like my mom abandoned me even though she offered to take me with her. I feel alone. I feel damned. I just want it all to stop."

She pulled her arm around me and I sat there, letting her warmth warm the cold that was settling in my mind. 

Leo's POV

I paced my room, anger surging through me. First I find out my best friend, the girl I have loved since I was 10, isn't who I thought. Then, I find out that the boy who is going to take her away from me, is just like her. And then I fucked myself over even more, because I hurt her. 

Guilt took the place of my anger. Hurt or not, I don't talk to Care like that.

Leo - Listen Care, I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you. Maybe we should meet up and talk. 

After 45 minutes without an answer, I hit the call button. It went to voicemail. 

"Hey Care," I said frantically, "Listen I know I was mean and rude and I'm so sorry, please answer and let me know that you're alright. I'm really worried about you. I- I didn't mean the stuff I said Care. I know this isn't your fault. Please just call me back and we can talk about it."

I continued my path of pacing and I finally let myself fall onto the bed. After three calls and countless texts, I couldn't help thinking, what if she really is done with me?

No One's POV

And so the unfortunate trio travels farther down the path to their destiny of love, disaster, and death. With deadly threats, hidden feelings, and a horrific choice growing closer with every moment; Caroline and the boys are one wrong move away from a war. Unfortunately, one way or another, blood will be spilled.