Chapter 11

Hello everyone! 

How are you doing?

I'm really excited to know what you guys are thinking about this chapter, I can barely wait to hear from you :) 

Next update on May 17th. See you there!

Chapter 11

"What?" Stepping forward, Nephelle met his gray eyes with her own. "What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I am mean!" Fox's eyes squinted as he approached her until their noses were touching. "Why would you tell him and not me?" 

Blinking in surprise, Nephelle blurted. "Because he saw me after Doc Rick was here. He saw me panicking." Taking a deep breath, she stepped away. "I didn't plan on it, Fox, but I think... I think of Wade as a friend. I... I'm not going to hurt him."

"That's fantastic!" Fox stepped forward and growled. "I mean, that's... good. I guess." Stepping away, he ran a hand through his hair, messing it up even more. "Shoot, I promised myself I'd be patient. This is not patient." Taking a deep breath, he turned to glance at the window.

Watching him as he tried to calm himself down, Nephelle felt weird. Stepping forward, she slowly slipped a hand on his shoulder. "Sorry." She apologized, then frowned. Why was she apologizing, anyway?

It didn't matter, she decided, as long as the boy in front of her looked a little less sad.

"You know, this would be a lot easier to take if you weren't so utterly clueless." He grumbled, making a mention of walking past her to leave the room but stopping to drop a kiss on her hair. "It's not your fault, Angelface... and even though I don't really like it, you shouldn't go out there alone. It isn't safe."

Shaking her head, Nephelle gazed at his back as he left. She had so many questions for him, but it wasn't the time.

The way things were going, it might never be.

*

Eyes that look forward never have the time for regret.

As she repeated the phrase on her head, Nephelle kept a steady pace on the road. It had been difficult, saying goodbye to the Owens – that family that had been so very kind to her.

Mabel had hugged her tight and given her a list – of dresses, perfumes and other stuff she wanted. It had made Nephelle smile – especially as her eyes caught on the last item of the list.

You make sure to get yourself back, Nephy. I always wanted a sister and I'm not above tracking you down!

Mrs. Greta had packed so much food that Nephelle was sure she could easily survive a week or so without worrying about her stomach. Mr. Tex had given her a tight hug and a small bag filled with coins – Nephelle was pretty sure they were the family's economies.

She'd wanted to refuse, but couldn't bear the disappointed look in Mr. Tex's face. In the end, she accepted while promising herself she'd only expend the least necessary and figure out a way to return what she did use.

Fox had given her the backpack and a bag with fresh fruit, besides a pretty switchblade that looked like it had seen better days (though it was still useable). She had the distinct impression that the switchblade had some sort of meaning for him – and if she hadn't, Mrs. Greta big gasp when she caught a glimpse of it would have been enough of a tip – but she didn't know what it was.

And since the boy had headed for the orchards before the sun rose, she couldn't ask him.

She had wondered why he hadn't bothered saying goodbye, but then again, she figured it had been for the best - would she have been able to deny Fox, if he'd asked her to stay?