Chapter 25

Hello everyone!

How are you doing? Are you ok? I hope so!

I'm doing fine, having loads of fun tying up the last threads for TFOA. It's been a crazy ride, but I'm going to miss it when it's gone...

That said, I'm also excited to write the new project that I'm planning, so it's kind of bittersweet.

With that said, you guys want to know the date for the next update, am I right? Sure am!

It's going to be next Friday, September 13th (OMG, it's Friday 13th! Need to find scary movie/anime to watch. I accept recs!)

Thank you for reading, commenting and voting on my story, and also for following me. It's truly, truly appreciated - can't explain the feeling. It's like there's someone out there who appreciated what I write and who is cheering me on becoming a professional writer. It means everything to me.

Now, on to the next chapter!

Chapter 25

The blood-soaked the ground, painting the earth a dark shade of red. He should be screaming in pain, he should be furious, he should feel... something.

Something that wasn't relief.

So even the God of Judgement could die, huh...

His only regret was clear in his mind in the form of his sister. He didn't know how Laira would deal with him being gone - they had never gone long apart.

As far as he could see, Wygar seemed to have escaped, which was a relief. He didn't want to be the one to blame for the air elemental's death as well, and he knew that he'd help Nephelle.

And though she still didn't know it, she needed the help.

Blinking, slowly, he wished he could move his head, but no matter how much he tried, his body refused to move. It wouldn't be much longer until the creatures of this forest forgot that he was one of their masters and hunted him.

His blood smelled like easy prey.

He wondered where Lord Acrytos and Alastair had gone if Nephelle had reached the Temple in time, if Laira was safe wherever she was and if that strange, curious girl would survive her illness.

But such things were no longer his concerns.

Who'd guess even a God could die?

"AXIEL!"

The scream was real, though he knew the presence wasn't. Laira had felt his coming death and was reacting to this. He wished he could hug her, offer her some comfort...

But his body didn't move and even his thoughts felt sluggish. He couldn't use telepathy and he was just too tired...

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, Axiel sighed. Despite the darkness that was always present inside the Forgotten Forest, he couldn't help but relax. It was a beautiful day to die.

As his consciousness slipped away from him, an image popped in his head. The image of the brave girl who, despite her growing weakness and exhaustion, did everything she could for her family.

She shouldn't be too far away from dying herself... He'd honor her tireless spirit and die with a smile on his face. Maybe then he'd be able to meet her in the afterlife. Did people like him have the same afterlife as people like her did? He didn't know, but he'd find out.

A hand touched his face, the touch cool and pleasing. A part of Axiel wondered who it could be and if it was friend or foe, but most of him was just too far gone to care.