Chapter 12

Hello everyone!

How are you doing? I'm excited to see what you guys think of this one :D 

As always, the next update will be next Friday, May 24th. 

Chapter 12

Sharing a panicked look with Wade, Nephelle took a deep breath and stood from their hiding place.

"Sorry!" she shouted back, putting both arms up, "I didn't mean to intrude. I heard a noise and thought you might be a thief, but clearly, that's not the case. I apologize and if you don't mind we'll be leaving."

The man's posture changed the second he saw her, his whole body relaxing and a smile in his face. "Ah, now, that's fine. Gentlemen, you can lower your weapons."

"B-but my lord, she didn't talk to you with the due deference! The girl needs to learn her place!" One of the men sounded appalled, which made Nephelle glance at the still hidden boy with worry.

"Ah, don't judge her so harshly, my friend. Didn't you hear that soft lilt to her words? I'd say she wasn't born in Philtria... am I correct?"

Jumping to his feet, Wade nodded. "Yes, my lord. This is my friend from Ryujin, I apologize on her behalf." Wade bowed so hard, Nephelle was half sure his nose touched the floor.

"See, Elliot? Everything has been explained." Waving the man off, he turned to smile at Nephelle. "Now, would you mind terribly if I asked your name?"

Following Wade's cue despite feeling uncomfortable, Nephelle bowed. "I am Nephelle and this is Wade, my lord."

"Now, now, these formalities are unnecessary." His voice sounded amused as if he thought their behavior was cute. Once again taking Wade's cue, Nephelle righted herself.

"Thank you, my lord... And thank you for not taking offense." Wade replied, fixing his hair and glasses.

"It's not so easy to offend me, young man." Nodding in his direction, he turned to glance at Nephelle. "I fear I must ask you to leave, though. I have an errand for the King, and it's one that requires discretion..."

Wondering what the man could be doing on a place such as this, she bit her lip to stop herself from questioning him. A glance to her side reminded her there were more important things than figuring out the reason behind Lord Alastair's behavior.

"Of course," Nephelle rushed to say, bowing again, "we'll be taking our leave right now."

Grabbing Wade's hand, she started pulling him away from them, her heart beating so hard and so loud against her chest that she almost missed what Lord Alastair said.

"No! No, of course, not." One of the men accompanying Lord Alastair, she thought his name was Elliot, moved from his place to stand in their way. Unable to move forward, they were forced to turn back and face the blond man. "Of course not," he repeated, running a hand through his hair, smoothing it. A beautiful smile gracing his features. "I couldn't possibly risk your safety by making a beautiful lady such as yourself walk in the road. Why don't you and your companion sit in the carriage and wait for me? I'll be pleased to escort you until your destiny."

Though there was no breeze around, she found herself letting Wade's hand go in favor of hugging herself and rubbing her arms. "Ah... thank you, my lord... thank you, but... we couldn't possibly..." Glancing at Wade in panic, she sighed and took a deep breath. " I mean..." "That's terribly kind of you, my lord." Wade ventured, bowing deeply again. "But we couldn't possibly accept... First, because we couldn't risk overhearing a sensitive matter of the kingdom and second because we're heading for Gavril and we wouldn't want to be a burden.."