Chapter 22

Hello everyone! How are you doing?

I can't believe we reached chapter 22! I have to admit I'm rather proud of myself for getting this far.

If you've stuck with me this far, THANK YOU. You are awesome!

The next update will happen: August, 23th.

And while we're on this, would you rather shorter chapters (around 1.5 K words) twice a week, or would you rather we keep the way we're going ( One 3k ish word chapter every Friday)? Please let me know!

Chapter 22

Nephelle was floating.

She felt light, almost as if she was lying in a cloud. She was aware that people came closer and then went away, but any other knowledge slipped away from her as if it was sand blow by the wind.

At least the pain was gone - there had been pain, a lot of it, not too long ago. She knew. But now it had floated away, melted away...

She had spent some time close to something icey, but now the temperature was mild. Warm. She was floating in warmth and comfort, and she never wanted to wake.

"What do you mean, you can't marry us?!"

The voice was annoying, trying to drag her away from the comfortable cloud she was currently floating on. She didn't want to go. 

"My lord, you must understand. It's widely known that the girl was poisoned, that she was engaged to another a little less than a week ago. If she isn't at least conscious... I doubt anyone would believe that she married you voluntarily."

Feeling a hand caressing her hair, Nephelle wished she could bat it away, but her arms felt heavy - so, so heavy. It felt comfortable to remain just where she was...

"We'd have a big affair, no the biggest - the wedding of her dreams... I'd make sure of it, of course, but I'd rather she was awake to plan everything just the way she'd wanted that. But as the relates of majken are reaching us, there's the very real possibility of war. If that happens, I will, of course, defend Philtria... and I'd rather Nephelle was secure as my wife."

Someone was marrying? The knowledge seeped slowly inside her sleepy, stubborn brain. Why couldn't they go gossip somewhere else? Didn't they understand that she needed to sleep?

"I understand, of course, my lord. I must say, that's a very noble, very thoughtful way of taking care of your beloved, but you must understand my position. To realize a marriage without both participants being in agreement, that's against the law."

"Of course, I can't force you to do this favor for me. I understand, Sir Clovis, I just thought I'd ask this little favor... It'd make my mind more at ease as I battled to save all of our lives, as I'm sure you understand..."

Scowling at the noise, Nephelle wished she could block it out somehow. Taking a deep breath, she became aware that it still hurt - but just a little bit. If these two kept chattering, she'd have to ask them to be quiet, she decided, despite the fact that it had to be common sense to keep quiet or at least to talk in a low voice if there was someone closeby who clearly needed her sleep.

"Of course my Lord, and in any other situation I'd agree to it, but there is so much gossip about this girl already that I'm afraid I can't quite measure up to your bravery."

"Oh? I hope that none of them are particularly negative?"

"Oh no, no, my lord. All positive, I assure you - if there's anyone who's been painted in the negative light are those two boys... Owens, aren't they?"