Chapter 17

Hello everyone! 

How are you doing? :D This has been a super busy week for me, so I was glad I managed to finish in time! /cue superhero song/

Hope you enjoy reading this chapter, and either way, I'd love to hear what you think! :D Thank you for your support, you are awesome!

Next update: July, 19th :D I hope to see you there :D

Biting his lower lip, Elydium fixed his tie for what had to be the hundredth time. So, he'd be the first to admit that he was feeling a little anxious - but just a little.

Still, what he was going to do starting tonight might either end really well or in complete disaster - though he was aiming for the first, he had to prepare for the second and its consequences, whatever they might end up being.

Oh, Lady, he hoped he was wrong.

Checking on Selena was easy - his beautiful love was asleep, a hand under her cheek. The knowledge that he might never see her again hurt his heart, but he couldn't stand to just sit by and watch anymore.

She'd understand, he thought. Maybe she'd never forgive him again, yes, but she'd understand.

He had many reasons to loathe Lord Alastair - but his lack of style or elegance were not one of them. It figured that his ball, besides being the event of the year - or so he heard, Elydium wasn't all that used to walking amongst humans anymore - was as elegant as any of the balls he'd attended since becoming Selena's consort.

He still hated it.

People didn't seem to pay him any attention which was good, he guessed. He didn't want anybody to stop him from doing what he wanted to do - what he needed to do.

Straightening his hair, he glanced at the building. The King's Palace in Gavril was a thing of beauty indeed - the golden two-story building fit like a glove with the city.

And yet...

The elegance was subtle, hidden in the rose bushes adorning the second-floor balconies and in the curves present in the columns holding it upright.

Slipping inside the front gates, the gardens made him smile - the sheer diversity of colors and scents reminded him of his sister's excitement.

"Look at them, Ely! So many colors, it's like a dream!"

Shaking his head at her words and her childish voice, Elydium entered the front door.

It would be impossible to miss Nephelle at the party- all he had to do was to sit close by a window and watch. As soon as she spotted the flowers, she would slip away and head there, he knew.

But then, it was even easier than he had been expecting.

Turns out all he had to do was wait until he heard the gasps and whispers - and then follow them to their origin.

A glance at her made him smile - and not because she was beautiful, even if she was. Each day that passed, Nephelle looked more and more like their mother. Well, in appearance anyway, because her gestures were their father in each and every sense of the word.

He never met anyone as uneasy in a party setting as him.

If he closed his eyes, Elydium could almost see their father standing there, tugging at the neck of his tux, fiddling with his tie and shuffling from feet to feet, looking as if he could think of a thousand of things he'd rather be doing than standing there, beside their mother.