Chapter 5

Chapter 5

*Zoe's POV*

Oh no, I thought to myself. He wasn't supposed to find out, not yet anyway. Not until I was sure. I stared at the packet, still unable to form any explanation.

"No, don't open it!" I shrieked, as Harry began to peer inside the bag.

I jumped into action, grabbing it out of his grasp, then I clutched it safely to my chest, just in case he tried to get it back.

"Zoe, what is it? Why can't you tell me?" He asked, sounding hurt.

I just shook my head as tears sprung to my eyes. I hated keeping secrets from him, but it was for his own good. Besides, once he finds out what it is, he'll wish he never asked. Harry hurried over to comfort me as I slumped against the wall of the hotel room.

"Shh baby, it's okay, everything's going to be fine," he assured me, but I wasn't convinced. He was just saying that to calm me down, there's no way he can promise that when he doesn't even know what's going on.

"No it's not! Everything is totally not okay!" I sobbed, probably making him even more confused, but I was in no fit state to explain anything at this moment in time.

"What is it? Are you ill or something?" He asked, concerned.

"No, no it's nothing like that," I promised him.

"Then what is it Zoe? It's killing me knowing your upset and worried and I can't so anything to help," he exasperated.

"Even if you knew, you couldn't help. Unless you had a time machine maybe," I said coldly and I watched sadly as his face fell.

"I promise whatever it is, we'll work through it, together. I won't let you go through it on your own. We're a team, remember? You jump, I jump. Okay?"

I couldn't help but giggle at his Titanic quote. Trust him to put something like that into such as heart felt speech. But his words did have some truth behind them. We are a couple and trust is a key factor in any relationship. I knew he trusted me, but I don't think I truly trusted myself. I knew that once I told him, he wouldn't abandon me, well I hope not anyway. He's not that type of guy. I may as well tell him now, he was going to find out sooner or later. Even if I didn't tell him, he would surely begin to notice after a while. And the earlier he knew, the more time we would have to figure out a solution. Plus it hurt me, seeing him so pained and knowing that I was the cause of it.

"Promise you won't hate me when you find out?" I asked, needing conformation to calm me down a bit.

"Never. It would be physically impossible for me to hate you Zoe, you should know that by now."

I blushed slightly at his comment, which had given me a sudden rush of reassurance and confidence. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and pulled the box out of it's packet, waiting for a reaction.

Silence. That's all I heard, and I peeled open my squeezed-shut eyes cautiously. Harry was just sitting there, mouth wide, and eyes nearly popping out of their sockets, still fixated on the label in front of him. It could have been worse, I suppose. At least he didn't run away.

*Harry's POV*

No, it can't be.

I reread the writing on the box one more time, just to make sure.

'Pregnancy Test.'

Yup, it was.

"Harry, please say something. Anything." Zoe whispered, fear evident in her eyes.

"Why do you need a pregnancy test?" was the first, inconsiderate thing that came out of my mouth.

I mentally scolded myself. Zoe must be freaking out about this, and that's all I can say. Well done Harry, your such an amazing boyfriend. Note sarcasm.

She just gave me a disappointed look, and I smiled apologetically at her.

"So...." I said breaking the awkward silence that had fallen between us. I'm sorry, but I didn't really know what to say. I hate having such deep and important conversations with people, it makes me feel nervous. That's why I'm not very good at giving advice. And I wasn't exactly experienced in this line of conversation.

"Are you going to do it now?" I questioned, proud with my mouth for asking a sensible question this time.

"You... You're not... mad at me? Not even a tiny little bit?" She asked disbelievingly, and I shook my head forcefully. Why would she even think that?

"Of course not, it's not exactly your fault, is it? Things like this happen, it's not anyone's fault really." I comforted, and she gave me a thankful hug.

"So, now or later?" I asked once we had broken apart from our embrace.

"What about the party?" She asked, obviously worried that I would be missing it.

"This is more important. I would be thinking about this all the time anyway, and I wouldn't really be enjoying it." I told her.

"Well, I'd rather get it over and done with..." she stated, and I nodded in agreement.

* * * *

Those 3 minutes were the longest in my life. Zoe came out of the bathroom with the stick in her hand, and we placed it on the bed, waiting for it to show us the possibly life changing result. We stood beside it, hands grasped firmly together for support. I'm not going to lie, I was so scared and worried and anxious, but I imagined what Zoe would be feeling, all those emotions multiplied by 100. So I forced myself to stay strong, for her.

Finally, after what felt like hours, the 3 minutes were up.

"No, I can't do it Harry, I can't look.." Zoe said trying to leave the room, all the doubts in her mind holding her back. I grabbed onto her arm, forcefully but not so tight that it woud hurt her. We had come this far, she needed to see it through. I don't think I would be able to do it on my own.

"Come on darling, we'll look together, okay?" I said, trying to make her relax but it wasn't working very well.

"3...2....1...." I counted down, and we both turned to look and the result in sync.

On the test, clearly visible, was a bright blue cross.

It was positive.