Chapter 21

Chapter 21

*Zoe's POV*

Her eyes.

That's the first thing I noticed when I held my beautiful baby girl in my hands for the first time.

They were bright, emerald green, with flecks of brown dotted about the irises. They were captivating.

I held Avery close to my chest, cradling her softly. I don't know what I expected to feel after just becoming a Mum, but all I can feel right now is love. Love for the little girl who I will adore and cherish for all of my life. Even though the circumstances that she came about in are less than picture perfect, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Even though there must have been about half a dozen people in the room, it felt like it was just me and her. I've been waiting for this day for so long, and it's even more perfect than I imagined.

Her eyes darted about the room, not staying focused on one particular object for more than a second or two. I can't remember what it feels like, coming into the world for the first time, but she'll have a lot to take in and will just be trying to get to grips with all the new sights in the room.

Suddenly, another hand was on top of mine, and I looked up to see one of the maternity nurses smiling down at me.

"Well done darling, she's beautiful. We just need to take her for a few tests, and to get cleaned and weighed and things, and then we will bring her straight back. Can you pass her over to me now?" She asked kindly, and I very reluctantly let go of my child.

"What sort of tests?" I inquired, wanting to know exactly what was going to happen to her when she wasn't with me. I've only had her for 5 minutes, and I'm already so overprotective. I hate to think what I'm going to be like when's she's older.

"Because she's premature, we just need to make sure her body and all her organs are functioning properly. It shouldn't take more than a quarter of an hour." The nurse informed me.

"But she's okay though, isn't she?" I asked worriedly. If anything was wrong with her, then it would be my fault.

"Everything that we can see is perfectly fine, yes. I'm sure that she is completely healthy," she told me, before taking Avery through to a different room, and she was followed by the rest of the hospital staff.

It wasn't until they all left that I remembered Harry was still in the room with me. And it wasn't until then that I realised how tired I was. It was after 11 o'clock now, and I was shattered. Giving birth really takes all the energy out of you.

"You didn't amazing Zoe, I'm so proud of you!" He said, whilst pushing my sweaty fringe out of my face.

"Thank you, I couldn't have done it without you," I sincerely said, and he blushed before looking down at the floor. That is the first time I have ever seen Harry Styles blush.

"Your welcome then," he said, returning to his normal composure.

"Maybe you should get some sleep," he suggested, but I shook my head.

"I want to wait till Avery comes back, and I want to see my Mum," I said.

"You look exhausted, why don't you have a little nap, and I'll wake you up when Avery gets back, and I'll go and fetch your Mum from the waiting room. Is that a deal?" He asked, but the tone in his voice told me that I didn't really have much choice in the matter. I guess he was just looking out for me, and I couldn't blame him for that. And a nap did sound pretty good right now.

"Oh okay then, but make sure you wake me up!" I reminded him.

"Yes Zoe," he said, and I fell into a deep sleep with him still holding gently onto my hand.