Acting and Imagination

.  . . Wednesday the 26th  . . .

The Office play, which most employees eagerly wait for every year, is finally happening. Tara Bikers brought her two children to play the parts of young Maleficent and young Stefan.  He had known someone similar to Maleficent back in the day where kings and queens existed in Midgard. It was so long ago, anyway. Perhaps Joy’s take on the character might not be bad.

“Mr.Laufeysun!” Ginger calls for him. “Your line is coming.”

Other than hating it when Ginger called him ‘sun’; this couldn’t get any better.

“What’s my line again?” Loki asks.

“Merci.” Ginger said, sticking her head from the curtain.

Loki scoffles.

“There’s no mention about that line in my script!” Loki argues back.

Ginger groans, going through her hair. Hadn’t David been gloating one hour ago that Loki is a superb actor? And hadn’t Joy been comparing David’s gloating to a hog from a long forgotten movie that isn’t a Disney movie? Both questions could not be answered at once with the mind of an irritated woman at the time.

“Mr.Laufeysun, you don’t Sesame Street.” Ginger said.

“I don’t Sesame Street?”  Loki repeats, puzzled. “Midgardians confuse me.”

Loki spoke like an alien from Outer Space that referred to humans by words that sounded similar to ‘Guards’ just without the ‘u’ in it. The word ‘Midgardians’ made Ginger think of Guards in the middle of a power pyramid. Or frankly guards in the middle of the society level between federal to civilization.

“As Joy put it; you don’t learn.” Ginger said with a shake of her head. “She’s getting to the baby scene.”

Ginger pokes her head out from the curtains letting the drawn purple fabric bump against another like a comb’s hard straw brushing through hair. Loki  went through his memorized scenes and lines. It’s not as though Fandral is making me do Siff’s hair,Loki thought while hearing the quiet low pitched footsteps belonging to Joy making soft creaks on the wooden floor. That too was in the script—she had to wear a special kind of shoes that made this effect—that had been shared with the other members.

Loki steps through the curtain wearing a costume, and yes, he had a plastic version of a crown.For once, among the cast members, Loki noticed that Donna was black. Loki hadn’t noticed until she had been put into a Caucasian crowd. The scenery jumped to life through Loki’s eyes; the stage turned into hard, tough rock, the three short women actually turned into fairies, and Tara Biker’s recently adopted baby boy became a baby girl. It seemed all too fascinating and awe when filmed through his eyes.

 “Here comes the awesome part.” Hank whispers to his African American Partner; David.

“Honey.” David whispers back. “Last time you said that; we landed in the dumpsters.”

Joy’s costume that mostly was a costume of a dark cloak with a  purple suit underneath whole holding a long gray pipe with a mosquito fossil fused on became Maleficent through Loki’s perspective. Her black wig became real, the prop horns turn into real, and her face’s features—that were obscured by her glasses—stood out more like the movie version of Maleficent. Those ‘pretty’ features that people would find attractive had slid away to reveal the real person underneath.

“It wasn’t my fault.” Hank whispers back.

“I didn’t call Bart the name ‘Stewie’.” David said. “He was not a bald baby with a genius brain.”

“Bart reminded me of him.” Hank whispers back.