Chapter 5

"Listen up, you two." Remy halts to a stop and faces the teens with a serious look.

They had left the safe house not so long ago. Joan had strictly warned them not to teleport due to Fumus being able to sense when one steps foot in his territory using magic, so they had no choice but to trek there on foot.

"This Fumus dude? He isn't an easy opponent." The older mage admits with a shake of his head, "It took me more than just a few strikes to get him away from Thomas that one time. I need you both to stay out of danger at all costs, you hear me?"

Roman and Logan nod in understanding.

"Alright, good. Now let's get back on track."

The three continue forth with their mission, being wary of their surroundings to make sure no one was watching or following them.

Remy claims they're getting closer to Fumus' lair when he notices the sudden change of scenery. The moon's light did little to help them see the path clearly as they kept walking through the fog clouded forest.

Logan had been deep in thought when he accidentally bumps into Mr

Logan had been deep in thought when he accidentally bumps into Mr. Starr's back, resulting for him to stumble into Roman who, thankfully, steadied him to prevent him from falling on the ground.

"Why'd you suddenly stop, Mr. Starr?" The young Sanders son asks.

"Sh... I heard something." Remy hushes, slowly taking off his sunglasses to survey the area.

Trees. Trees. Dirt. Moss. Puddle. Wolf. Trees– wait

"Don't. Move." He tells the teens behind him while keeping a close eye on the growling animal that began creeping towards them, its teeth sharp and fully on display as its eyes glowed an odd color of purple and yellow.

Taking a careful step back, Remy readies his hands for when the wolf suddenly advances.

But it doesn't.

At seeing the green aura summoned by the older mage, the wolf visibly let's out a relieved sigh before transforming into a human wearing a green turtle neck and black jeans.

"Oh thank goodness, you're magic-users." He says in a quite deep yet sophisticated voice.

"And you are...?" Roman questions, taking a step forward towards the stranger.

Instead of answering with his name, the guy replies with, "Needing your h-help." His voice cracks at the end of his sentence.

"With what, exactly?" Remy cuts in, putting his sunglasses back.

"M-my younger brother... He's been taken by that wretched smoke-creature!"

Remy, Logan, and Roman glance at one another with sudden panic, then return their gazes to the shapeshifter who stared at them helplessly.