i.

Chapter One

{EDITED}

June 7th, 1967

June 7th, 1967

"Mama... I- I don't feel so good," Wanda stuttered; the hundreds, if not, thousands of voices playing inside her mind making her feel as though she will burst. She held onto her head, the coldness of her hands helping slightly relieve the bubbling tension that was raging within her extraordinary mind.

Magda, Wanda's mother, knew this day was to come. She knew who her true father was-- or rather, what. Magda was reckless in her youth, she had made an impulsive decision, one that cost her the chance of a normal life. But she was a traumatised young girl, who fell in love with a kind sweet boy that shared her story of oppression. Their bond was something she could have never achieved with anyone else. 

Hearing her daughter's pain and pleas, Magda quietly moved towards the home phone, dialling the one number she had learned off by heart since the day both of her precious children were born.

"M-mama?" Wanda asked aloud with a quiver. She turned the corner into the living room and seeing her mother hang up the phone as soon as she entered. 

"Yes, daughter?" Magda replied in their native language, standing up straight and turning to look at her.  At thirteen, Wanda was rapidly becoming her mother's mirror image, with flaming orange hair and forest-green eyes that seemed to effortlessly conceal her biggest shame. Magda felt a bittersweet relief that Wanda did not resemble her father. She would struggle to look at her child if she even partially resembled him.

"The voices in my head won't stop," Wanda spoke clearly, her eyes wide in fear. This caused Magda's own eyes to widen in shock.

Wanda opened her mouth to speak again, but instead let out a cry as she fell onto her knees. Magda hurried over to her daughter, kneeling down on the ground and holding her in a tight embrace. Her heart ached at her daughter's burgeoning abilities.

"Pietro, h-he's having racing thoughts, he said that his head is hurting," Wanda muttered into the hug, causing Magda to freeze as realisation dawned upon her. Both Wanda and Pietro were mutants.

She pulled away from her daughter, brushing the red hair out of her face. Then, she held on tightly to Wanda's forearms, as if she were all treasure in the world.

"Where's your brother?" She asked, but Wanda shook her head, refusing to look up. Magda quickly changed her tone, almost too harshly grabbing Wanda's chin and forcing her to look up.

"Wanda look at me," Magda demanded, her nails pressing into her child's skin. Wanda gulped nervously, opening her eyes to see her beloved mother. She expected any other look than the one her mother had on her face.