There's A Girl

Thank you all for 6 reads! Is anyone out there actually enjoying Gracepoint? I'm only amused by David in it so that's why I'm watching it. But, anyways, hope you enjoy this next part! 

"Yeah. I'm going back to work and I want you to go down to your hut and get your things." He said. Jenny nodded. 

"Why are you doing all this?" She asked him. Alec didn't listen; he turned and walked out of the door without saying good bye.

"That was a long time. Why did it take so long?" Ellie asked Alec back in the office. Alec was in the kitchen making himself some toast. He pushed the lever down and leaned on the counter. 

"I didn't...meet Jack Marshall." He sighed. Ellie gave him a look. 

"Why? What was more important than that?" She asked him loudly. 

"I got Danny's phone." Alec said as he pulled the phone out of his pocket. Ellie looked down at it in shock. 

"Where did you get that?" She asked him. 

"A girl cam up to me when I was on my way to see Jack Marshall. She gave it to me." He replied while he put the phone back in his jacket pocket. 

"Ok but why didn't you make it to Jack?" She continued. Alec turned as his toast popped up. 

"She lives alone in a hut so I got her a room." He said. 

"You do know that we don't cover that right?" She asked him. Alec continued to butter his toast. 

"Yeah." He mumbled. He took a bite from his slice of toast. 

"Did she tell you anything? Susan Wright?" He asked Ellie. She shook her head at the change of the subject. 

"No, nothing. She's not making this easy. She just wants her bloody dog." She told him. 

"Find the dog. That's a priority. Get it she'll talk, I'm sure of it." He said as he finished off his toast. He placed the plate in the sink and started towards the door. Ellile followed. 

"I want the dog found by the time I get back." He said as he went to the door. 

"Where are you going now?" Ellie asked him. Alec turned to look at her. 

"Find the dog." He said as he left the building. Ellie was left staring at the closed door. 

Jenny came back to the traders after the thirty minutes it took for her to head down the street and explain to her friend that she couldn't stay with him. It had been tough for her, leaving him. She didn't know who Alec was and especially why he was doing this for her. 

She put her bags down on the floor and looked around. It was quiet and clean, something she wasn't used to. She felt her phone buzz and she reached into her pocket to stop it. She pulled it out and looked at the screen. Meet me tonight at the harbour cliff. Good luck with this. She read it over three times. She broke into a smile. 

"Maybe this isn't so bad." She said to herself. She put her phone back in her jacket and bent down to open her bag. She pulled out a notebook that was covered in pictures. There were pictures of her and her friend, her cousin, her old school, one of the planets and one of her parents. She paused for a moment and brushed her fingers over the one of her parents. She wondered if they thought of her even though to them she was never gone. 

She stood up and brought her notbook to the nightstand. She placed it on the wooden table. There then was a bang at the door. Alec walked in. He nodded to her. 

"Hi." She said to him. Alec looked around the room. 

"Settling in?" He said without making eye contact with Jenny. 

"I guess so." She replied. 

"Come on." Alec said as he turned to the door. Jenny lifted up her arms. 

"Where to now?" She asked. Alec walked outside. 

"Just come!" He yelled. Jenny grabbed her coat off the bed and ran outside. 

"Did you know Danny at all?" Alec asked Jenny. They sat across from each other back in the pub. Becca was out cleaning rooms so they had the place to themselves. 

"Yeah. I had the same paper route as him. He did weekdays and I did weekends." She told him as she brushed a piece of hair from her face. 

"Really? I thought he did it every day." Alec said to her. Jenny shook her head. 

"Nope, I always did it on the weekend. We would meet up on some Fridays and talk about how we could make the route quicker." She replied.

"Ok, could Jack Marshall back this up for you?" He asked her. Jenny could feel her knee start to shake. 

"He should be able to, yeah." She replied to Alec back never met his eye. 

"Where are your parents? Why do you live alone?" He asked Jenny. 

"They died, both of them. Both of a heart problem." She replied now meeting his eye. Alec wondered if she knew about his heart or if this was just a coincidence. 

"When did they die?" He asked while he tapped his pen on the table. 

"Six months ago." Jenny answered. She was becoming nervous. What if he asked her about the hut? What if he wanted to see it?