Family Love

Simon

I didn't think the Pitch mansion would be a mansion. This is a damn big mansion if I do say so myself.

Baz pulls in to the very large driveway, and I give myself a moment to admire the place. The lawn is filled with freshly cut shrubbery and a variety of multicoloured flowers. Two grey gargoyles lay on either side of the doorway. Which is also huge.

"Just wait in the car while I- er, make things clear." I can sense how nervous Baz is, so I don't bother with replying. My eyes follow Baz as he opens the car door and trudges up the driveway. I continue watching until a man and woman appear on the other side of the door.

Malcolm Grimm and Fiona Pitch. Baz's father and aunt

I can't hear anything being said, so I slump down into my chair, enjoying what is likely to be the last bit of silence I'll get for a while.

Baz

My heart is nothing short of beating out of my chest as I walk up the familiar Pitch mansion steps. I'm beyond scared of what my father will think. I have more than a little hope that Fiona won't care. Crowley knows she's probably suspected since I was eight.

When Fiona opens the door, I allow myself to breathe a little sigh of relief. She hugs me, and I happily wrap my arms around her. Then I notice my father standing behind Fiona, and the nerves come right back. He's smiling too, and moves to give me a hug as well.

"How's my boy?" Father ruffles my hair as he pulls me to his chest, kissing my brow. I can't help but sink into the touch, I've missed home and getting to see everyone again makes me feel like a kid again.

"I'm good father." I say. I wouldn't be lying if it weren't for the alarmingly handsome boy sitting in the passenger seat of my car. Pulling away, I notice both Fiona and father's eyes stray to the concrete behind me, obviously searching for this other person I was expected to bring home.

"Um," Let's get this over with. "Before you ask, I did bring someone home, they're in the car. I told them to wait there so I could come see you guys first."

My father smiles and puts a hand on my shoulder. "What's her name, son?" I look to Fiona, because that's the only thing that'll calm me down even slightly.

"I'm proud of you, Baz. I'm surprised it took a handsome one like you this long to start a relationship." Thank Crowley Fiona didn't specify that this someone had to be female.

When I don't say anything, Fiona steps closer to me and grabs my hands. "You're shaking, Baz. Don't be nervous. We love you." I fight back the urge to cry. I was damn close, let me tell you. The last thing I want is for my father to be ashamed of me.

"It's a boy." I mutter. I can tell Fiona picks up on what I've said when she pulls my head to her chest, letting me hide my face from the world for a few moments. I become painfully aware of how much I'm shaking, hoping and praying that my father hadn't heard that.

"What is it?" I'm practically clinging to Fiona as my father's voice reaches me. Fiona is petting my hair like only a mother would.

"You can tell him, Baz. Do you want me to tell him?" I don't reply, letting her make the assumption that was a yes, so she speaks the same words I did.

"It's a boy, Malcolm. He's this pent up about the person in the car being a boy." I can't bring myself to look at the expression on my father's face. The silence is answer enough for me. Fiona doesn't let go of me, and I'm so, so grateful for that bit of reassurance.

After a few more painfully long seconds of silence, I force myself to meet my father's eyes. I can tell he's trying to think of something to say. "So, you like boys?" He says it slowly, as if feeling the words on his tongue. Carefully, as if something might break.