Vol. 24

Once everyone recovered, it was Virgil's birthday!

~~Present day ~~

"Virgil Virgil Virgil Virgil Virgil!" Roman shouted jumping on his brothers bed, "Happy birthday!"

Virgil laughed an pulled his pillow over his head, signing, 'let me sleep.'

Roman laughed and pulled the pillow away, "come on! Padre made Pattoncakes!"

Virgil groaned and rolled out of bed. Roman smiled brightly and picked up Virgil, spinning him in a hug. Virgil latched on to Roman at the sudden movement, then smacked him when he put him down. Roman laughed and pulled Virgil downstairs.

The house was decorated with black and purple streamers. A few purple and white balloons were floating on the ceiling. The tablecloth had swirls of all three colours.

"Happy birthday kiddo!" Patton giggled, hugging his son tightly.

Virgil giggled lightly as well.

"You're seventeen now! Next year you're gonna be an adult!" Patton cried.

"Calm down Patt," Logan said, placing a hand on Patton's shoulder, "it's a year away."

"Only a year!" Patton argued.

"Why don't we focus on this year!" Roman laughed, bringing out a Nightmare Before Christmas cake.

"Roman! That was for later!" Logan scolded.

Roman laughed and ran up the stairs, Logan following close behind. Virgil watched with a small smile until he felt a little body run into him.

"Happy birthday Virge!" Remy giggled, hugging his brother.

Virgil hugged him back as Logan basically dragged Roman down the stairs.

"Alright!" Patton clapped his hands, "Cake for breakfast!"

"No. That is not-" Logan sighed, "that is not a suitable breakfast item."

"Cake!" Patton giggled, running into the kitchen.

"Patton!" Logan ran after him.

The boys laughed and Remy climbed up on Virgil's shoulders. Patton backed out of the kitchen with Logan kissing him hard.

"Ew!" Roman taunted and Virgil covered Remy's eyes.

They all settled down and has their cake, which was vanilla, chocolate and red velvet that was checkered. Roman and Remy gave Virgil his gifts.

Roman gave him noise cancelling headphones with a lilac and black flannel pattern. Remy gave him a dogtag necklace with a cloud and a lightning bolt on it.

Virgil hugged them both. Patton tapped his shoulder.

"You still got one more gift kiddo." Patton told him, "it's up in your room."

Virgil gave his smug looking dad's a skeptical glance, but slipped the tags and headphones around his neck and made his way up to his room. The emo pushed open his door and gasped.

Sitting by his bed was a large tank. Inside the tank was a rose kneed tarantula.

Virgil smiled brightly and ran over to the tank, gently scooping out the spider and holding it in his hands. The spider was deep black with rich orange-pink bands down her legs.

"What are you gonna name it kiddo?" Patton asked, hovering by the door.

Virgil grabbed a pen with his free hand and wrote, 'Susan.'

"Su-susan?" Logan said, confused.

Virgil nodded, letting Susan crawl across the back of his hands.

"Why Susan?" Roman asked, hovering over Virgil's shoulder.

Virgil shrugged.

"Wait, where's Remy-" realization dawned on Logan's face, "The coffee!"

Logan ran down the stairs, yelling at Remy that caffeine would mess with his sleep schedule. The rest of them laughed and Virgil put Susan back into her tank.

Virgil smiled as he followed his family to the living room. This was the best birthday he's ever had.