Chapter 29: Fruit of Life

My eyes shot open as I awoke startled, gasping for air. I hyperventilated for a few moments before getting my bearings as Malorn put both of his hands on my upper arms, in an attempt to calm me down. Before looking at me with so much emotion it broke my heart. He threw his arms around me after making sure I was calm, pulling me into a tight desperate hug, one which I returned with equal desperation, for a few moments down there I thought I was stuck forever, I'm so thankful they were able to bring me back to the land of the living. When he pulled away he shot me a poisonous glare, but there was more affection behind his words than bite.

"That was by far the most reckless thing you've ever done." His eyes softened. "Don't ever scare me like that again."

I nodded unable to find my tongue, before my gaze fell to the other side of my bed, where James was looking back at me with an indecipherable gaze. He smiled at me when our eyes met. Malorn looked between the two of us, getting up and walking away to give us some privacy. I swallowed, still unable to speak. James looked slightly worried as he spoke, caressing my face with the back of his hand.

"You're still looking a little pale."

He conjured a cup filled with mana and handed it to me. I smiled gratefully at him, accepting the cup and downing its contents in one gulp, immediately I felt the color return to my cheeks.

"Thanks."

I moved to get up from the bed; James extended his hand for me to take it so that he could help me out of bed. I looked up at James who was still fixing me with that indescribable gaze, his hand still intertwined with mine.

"What?"

"You nearly..." he trailed off, seemingly disturbed. I squeezed his hand to give him the strength to continue. His voice came out as barely a whisper. "You nearly died."

"But I didn't." I took both of his hands in my own. "Because of you."

"That's not-"

"I wouldn't be here right now, if you guys hadn't brought me back."

James' head fell, seemingly remembering something, his eyes turned cold. Obviously something was gnawing at him, and if I know that look? It has something to do with his brother.

"James?"

He shook his head, snapping himself out of whatever it was. His eyes softened as he looked back at me, before pulling me into a passionate kiss, born of fear and desperation. He lifted me up as we kept going at it, and in that moment I was glad that Malorn gave us some privacy. The next thing I know, I'm being lowered down on the bed, where James was leaving a trail of kisses down my neck, before moving lower. He was about to kiss me again when I stopped him with my finger.

"Just in case Malorn comes back."

I cast a spell that made us invisible and silent as well as preventing anyone from entering this area. When I was done James continued his passionate assault on my mouth, things escalating very quickly. James then pulled away and looked down at me in my most vulnerable form, moving to rest his forehead on my own before speaking.

"You're beautiful."

I pulled him down, silencing his sincere words with a kiss, the next thing I remember is being lost in the heat of passion and lust, limbs entangling in the more pure form. When it was over, I was lying in his arms, heaving heavily. James cupped my face as he spoke.

"I'm so glad you're okay."

I looked up at the sincerity behind his gaze, smiling at him.

"Thank you for trusting me."