Chapter 3

"What?" Thornclaw spat. "Why? We thought you stopped stealing their prey."

It was clear that Redswirl didn't have time for answering questions. "We didn't, okay!" she sputtered quickly. Her next words were meowed without a breath between them as she looked desperately at Leafsong, and only Leafsong. "There's so many of them, it looks like they brought all of their warriors. I saw some taking the fresh-kill from our pile, but it didn't look like they were letting up the fighting - they came to truly damage us."

Leafsong didn't hesitate with her decision. If any cat in her patrol protested, she didn't hear them. "We need to tell Firestar; he'll send a patrol. Let's hurry."

The patrol, plus Redswirl, raced through the darkening forest to the camp. The ShadowClan cat was snagged multiple times by stray tendrils and roots, but she didn't let them slow her down. Soon, the camp wall was in view, and the cats burst through the tunnel.

"Firestar, RiverClan are attacking ShadowClan's camp!" Leafsong shouted even before fully emerging from the thorns. "They need help!"

Cats instantly filled the hollow, coming out of the dens as they were settling down for the night. Leafsong heard scattered comments from them.

"RiverClan is in ShadowClan's camp?"

"Serves them right; they shouldn't have started stealing their prey."

"How badly do they need our help?"

"We shouldn't get involved with other Clans' business."

But Firestar, who had come out from his den and onto the Highledge at Leafsong's call, didn't need any questions answered. A Clan was attacking the very heart of another - that was all he needed to know. If anything, that act was abysmal compared to prey stealing.

"Brambleclaw!" the orange-coated tom called as he hurried down the rock climb. "Stay here and take while I go."

"Who will you take with you?" the deputy asked.

Firestar began shouting names without even surveying his gathered cats. "Lionblaze, Sandstorm. Squirrelflight and Sorreltail. Darkpaw, Dapplepaw, you too. And Thornclaw and Cinderheart. Let's go."

Leafsong's ears perked up in surprise. He had not called her name. She thought about confronting him, but she held back. It was his choice if he wanted her on the patrol or not.

But Firestar must have noticed something on her face, because as he signaled the patrol to start leaving, he stopped by her on his way out. He kept his face close to hers and his voice low. "This will be a big battle. I didn't choose you because I don't want someone to get too into fighting and forget who they are."

He didn't have to go on; Leafsong knew what he was getting at: "I don't want the Chosen Warrior to accidentally die during a battle."

But what he didn't know was that she had close ties to ShadowClan through Redswirl, and even her own Clanmates now in Darkpaw and Dapplepaw. Even Squirrelflight will do all that she could in this battle to drive RiverClan back, without knowing all that Leafsong knew. These were the closest cats to her, and she wouldn't let them down, because she knew that they would not let her down.

"Firestar, let me go," Leafsong murmured. "I promise I won't die, not in this way. I have those who will watch over me as I fight, in StarClan and out of StarClan. Please."

Firestar blinked as he thought, then nodded. "Okay. Just be careful."

Leafsong nodded back. "I will."

They caught up to the battle patrol then, and Firestar took the lead. Leafsong hung back with Redswirl; she wondered what the black she-cat was thinking. Her eyes were still wide and were focused ahead. However, she must have felt Leafsong's gaze on her, because she glanced aside to meet her gaze.