Chapter 22

Leafsong and Rainshine, and all the cats who stood listening behind them, took this information in silently.

"How do you know this?" Leafsong challenged softly after a moment. "How do you know how to bring a spirit back to life, and how do you know that the veil will be fixed if I'm... revived?"

Her eyes flitted to Snowfall, the white she-cat, as she answered this time. "Because you told us," she responded cryptically. Before anyone could ask her to explain further, she went on. "When you deemed us old enough to be able to understand everything and handle it well, you told us about the Battle of the Red Moon - how you died to Owlheart, rallied everyone in StarClan to drive the Dark Forest cats back, killed Owlheart in return, and restored your spirit to your body, effectively healing the rift that allowed the Dark Forest to freely walk into StarClan territory."

"Because technically," Duskmoon cleared, "the Chosen Warrior would still be alive, even after 'dying' to Owlheart."

Considering these three cats claimed to be her kits - in which she believed them, as she now could see her fur-color in Fawnleap, Darkflight's long black pelt in Duskmoon, and the amber-green eyes of Snowfall that seemingly combined both of theirs - believing in these claims wasn't that difficult, although the absurdity of it will never be fully gone, that there potentially was a way to reunite a spirit to their body, a way to reverse the consequences of the Chosen Warrior's death. But as Duskmoon warned, all of it was at the cost of another spirit. A death for a life, essentially.

She was nervous about the answer to the question she wanted to ask next, but she was still compelled to say it. "Did I tell you... who the spirit was who sacrificed themselves?"

"You did," Fawnleap replied somberly. "But you also told us to not tell you exactly who, so that whoever it was doesn't feel pressured once this moment comes."

Snowfall added, "You should know, though, that four spirits have to sacrifice themselves. One for each of us."

Leafsong blinked. "That's right," she confirmed her understanding quietly. The she-cat looked at the three of them in turn. "Because currently, you're all dead, as well." Slowly, she turned around to face everyone witnessing her talk with her future kits' spirits: Goldenfur and Whitefang, Rainshine and Redswirl, and still Nightblaze, who must have felt more out of place than he had ever felt in the Dark Forest at the moment. "I don't know if I can ask any of you to sacrifice yourselves for me. Your spirits... it'll be almost like you've never existed. I'm sure there's no StarClan for StarClan. I completely understand if you'd rather not give yourself up."

"Surely our spirits won't be completely gone?" Redswirl offered. "Perhaps they'll become merged with your own or something." She took a pace or two forward closer to Leafsong and met her friend's gaze. "Leafsong, you've done so much for me during our lives. It's my turn to repay you. If it means that you'll be able to raise your kits with Darkflight and at the same time heal the wound in the veil, I will gladly give up my spirit for you."

The pale-ginger she-cat became so choked up that she had to force her words out. "No, Redswirl, anyone but you. You've already done enough for me, saving me not once, but two times from Scarpelt." She shook her head pleadingly. "And think of Darkflight and Dapplerock. Whenever their times come, I don't want them to arrive in StarClan without you here to welcome them. You'll be the one cat they will look forward to."

Rainshine came up to stand next to Leafsong before Redswirl could protest. "I agree with Leafsong, Redswirl. Darkflight and Dapplerock will need you. And if anyone is to give up her spirit for Leafsong, it should be me." Her blue gaze rested on Leafsong. "After all, I was the Chosen Warrior before you. It's only fitting."