Prologue

Ghouls are man-eating creatures that look exactly like human beings. However, what separates them from human beings, is their enhanced abilities and the predatory organ which every ghoul possesses, called a kakuhou. The kakuhou is used by releasing a type of bio-weapon from the ghoul's body called a kagune. The type of kagune is distinguished by their RC type: ukaku, koukaku, bikaku and rinkaku. Each type is distinguishable by the area in which they appear. The Ukaku appears as wings protruding from the ghoul's shoulder blades. The koukaku usually appears as a sword or a shield protruding from the back of the shoulder. The bikaku appears to be a singular tail which originates from above the base of the spinal cord. Lastly, the rinkaku type appears to be tentacles that protrude from the very base of the spinal cord. The average count of rinkaku tentacles per ghoul is 4, however, some ghouls have been known to have less while others can use more.

Ghouls are the hunters, while humans are the hunted. The majority of humans wish for the extermination, and future extinction of ghouls, as they fear the threat that ghouls pose upon them. There are ghouls who mercilessly kill and feed, relishing the power they hold over humans, while others wish to coexist with humans and live among them in normal society. The two sides are constantly at war with one another. However, there is a sect within the government who believe that the time for ghoul destruction is now.

We follow the life of 19 year-old, Kaine Graham. He is a young, African-American half-ghoul. He is 6 feet tall with white locs with crimson tips and he wears a black eye-patch with a silver, metallic skull on it which he wears to hide the eye that he cannot change and resembles his mother's. At the beginning of the series, the year is 2031 in the northern state of Illinois. With a population of 12.74 million, and a third of its populace being ghouls, Illinois has become the home for the main office and headquarters of AGALE/A. The 'Anti-Ghoul Association of Lethal Extermination/Apprehension. It is an organization founded by 35 year-old, multi-billionaire Ebisu-Daikoko Watanabe, a human. However, all of its staff is comprised of ghouls and half-ghouls. With the fortune he held, he was able to fund this organization, originally as a means to aid a friend, but was then turned into an agency that handles ghoul and/or human situations that usual authorities are unable to handle. Therefore, they have built a reputation for themselves, becoming well renowned among Illinois' populace and slowly winning the hearts and acceptance of the humans around them. However, there is an organization that wishes to destroy ghouls and make the world see them for the monsters they surely are.

Ever since the very beginning, as a ghoul, he's had to see things that should never be seen. As a child he had already torn innumerable people apart. He's bloodied his hands to the point that his soul is darker than the darkest night, and his hands as red as the crimson essence he had ripped from the bodies of those unlucky enough to come across him. His eyes were robbed of innocence at the age of 18 months. He was betrayed by the one person a child should only love and trust, his mother. She ate his father before his very eyes.

After eating her husband, she turned towards her infantile son. After watching his father be eaten before his very eyes, realized that his father was gone. He began to cry, but it was that cry that alerted his mother to his whereabouts. She walked over to him and it was there that he saw everything. Her face was drenched in the same bodily fluid which had once given his father life. In taking it, his permit to live, was revoked. They met eyes and terror and madness sunk into his very soul. The woman that brought him into this world, giving him life, had now come to take it. She lifted up her child and with a crazed look she bared her teeth and bit into her son. He screamed in pain... but she did not stop. She ate more and more, until his screams of pain were soon silenced.

"What... What am I doing..?"

Adelle Valentine, his mother, had snapped out of her crazed hunger and realized what she had done. Her emotions were in complete disarray, but the most prominent emotion was... Despair. She had eaten and killed her human husband. Unlike a ghoul, there is no chance for him to recover from fatal or life-threatening injuries. She had half eaten her half-ghoul son. His injuries were fatal: His chest cavity was eaten down to the point where his heart was visible through his rib cage, and his left shoulder and upper arm was eaten to the bone. May could do nothing more than shriek at the scene of her dead husband and son, but it was the fact that it was by her own hand that destroyed her. She had killed the ones that she held most dear.

If it wasn't for his incomprehensible regeneration, Kaine wouldn't have made it out of that situation alive. The story, as he was told, is that his mother ate and killed his father and nearly did the same to him. However, he was spared thanks to his concerned aunt, who had suspected something was wrong. She noticed the look in Adelle's crazed eyes and that it could lead to disaster so she followed her. He was told that his aunt saved him and took him from his mother. She then brought him to AGALE/A, where he was adopted and stayed there until now. To him, his mother is a monster. One who's existence should be ended by his own hands, because to him, a mother who can bring herself to kill her husband and child is better dead.

"If someone is willing to destroy the things they supposedly live for, then they might as well be killing themselves. So why not let me do it for her? It's the one generous, loving deed that I, as her son, should give her."

Ever since that day, Kaine has kept the one eye that doesn't have a kakugan covered and keep his kakugan partially activated (keeping his sclera white, but his iris red). He lost the feeling to care for his very own life, as he had already died once. "I'll live until I die." That's been his way of living ever since he was young. Until he met Brooklyn. A childhood friend, turned lover. With her, he found something he thought was worth living for. He even made friends among the other orphans that AGALE/A had brought in. Kaine, Brooklyn, Jaspar and Seth were all brought together - and later on Fuyumi - and together they went down in history as AGALE/A's greatest force.