t w o

••••••

••••••

"YOU WANT INFORMATION FROM ME?" Kat smirked, the clear disbelief was portrayed in the surprised tone in her voice. "Oh, how the mighty of fallen, eh?"

Nothing was said for a few minutes. Nothing but the moonlight shined down on them, only highlighting the high cheekbones on his face. She couldn't see the icy blue eyes that people loved to talk about in this light and she wondered if they were as emotionless as people said they were. As the echoing laughter of drunken men carried through the abandoned alleyway, only Kat's eyes flickered in their direction and his remained focused on her.

Eventually he reached into the inner pocket of his coat and as he looked down, the small razor blade sewed neatly into the peak of his hat glistened against the moonlight. Kat's breath hitched as she feared what he would pull from his pocket. Her fears were unjustified as he simply pulled out a folded piece of paper. He held it out to her, a clear indication that he wanted her to take it.

And so, she did. She unfolded the paper and then huffed when she realized that there wasn't enough light to read the paper. "It's too dark to read."

Thomas made a sound that communicated that this was a great means of inconvenience to him. This time he reached into his outer coat pocket and pulled out a lighter. Kat withheld a huff as she realized that she couldn't even afford a lighter and was instead forced to carry around matches to light her cigarettes. She took the silver lighter and struck it. The flame didn't provide much help but it was better than nothing. She held it as far away as she could from the paper so it didn't become inflamed. Her eyes skimmed over the contents of the page and she instantly recognized it as a duplicate of the one in her own pocket.

"Well?" Thomas grunted, placing a cigarette between his lips. Kat snapped the lighter close, distinguishing the flame before tossing the small silver box back at its owner. He caught it with his right hand without so much of a blink and set his cigarette ablaze.

"I know I technically qualify." Kat smirked, referring to her clear height over five feet. Her fighting skills were perhaps not up to par but she wasn't going to indulge that information. Thomas was clearly unimpressed with her quip and adopted an annoyed expression. It was the first emotion that Kat had seen so far. "I guess it is true what they say about you, Mr Shelby. You are all business and nothing else."

Thomas sniffled, rubbing his nose with the back of his hand that held the cigarette and then promptly threw the remaining cigarette away. "You hear much about me, eh?"

"I've heard a lot of rumours about you, Mr Shelby." Kat murmured, her voice softening as she thought of the many rumors that surrounded Thomas Shelby. He was a man that Kat had actively tried avoiding and had been doing quite well until now. She always knew that she was on the Peaky Blinders radar but she had never been confronted before and she was terrified.