Chapter 5

My previous statement caused us to fly in silence for a long time when suddenly, we spotted a familiar ship floating in the water. "Follow my lead," Hiccup ordered before slipping his helmet back over his head as we skillfully avoided the nets fired from the ship and landed on its deck.

"And here I was worried we might turn up empty-handed," Eret approached us with a threatening sword in his grasp.

Hiccup slid from Toothless's saddle and removed his helmet. As he opened his mouth to speak, he held up his hands in surrender. You are so dumb. With a sigh, I slung my left leg over Shadow's saddle and stood beside him.

"Nope," Hiccup replied. "It's your lucky day; We give up." I quietly groaned and rolled my eyes. However, a sharp jab into my ribs by his elbow caused me to reluctantly lifted up my hands as well. "That's one Night Fury, one Sand Wraith and . . ." he tossed a net over Toothless before tossing one over my head. This action heightened my frustration and I lowered my hands as they contracted into fists. Either we're dead or I'm going to kill you later. He continued, "two of the finest dragon riders west of Luk Tuk. That oughtta make the boss happy, right?"

The men watched with stunned expressions as he removed the net from my head and grabbed my elbow, guiding me to empty cages below the deck. "Not making me trust you any more," I whispered harshly in his ear as we walked down the ladder. Shadow and Toothless tried to follow us, but Hiccup told them to stay and they obeyed reluctantly.

"The dragons don't really care for cramped spaces so they'll just hang out with you. They won't be any trouble."

The men targeted their weapons at them after this statement, causing the dragons to snarl in warning.

"Unless you do that. Wooden boat, big ocean. How's your swimming?" Hiccup took out his sword he called his dragon blade and clicked a button to lite it on fire. "Oops, almost forgot. Can't have armed prisoners!" He held the contraption out through the bars and dropped it onto the deck. One man picked it up, accidentally pressing a switch so Zippleback gas poured out of one end.

"Just what every dragon trapper needs. One end coats the blade in Monstrous Nightmare saliva. The other sprays Hideous Zippleback gas. All it takes is a spark and—" An explosion suddenly blew the men away. "Oh, yeah, there you go!" I put a hand on his arm to let him know I was getting uneasy.

"Once they see you as one of their own. Even the testiest dragons can be trained, right, bud?" Toothless rolled onto his back happily.

Eret snatched the dragon blade and threw it overboard. Shadow interpreted this action as a kind of play and promptly dove into the water to retrieve it. "What kind of game are you playing?" he glared at Hiccup.

"No game," he replied. "We just want to meet Drago."

Shadow returned with the blade and dropped it at Eret's feet. He threw it once more in an irritated manner, but Shadow simply returned with it again. The scene made me giggle quietly. "Why?"

"Because I'm going to change his mind about dragons."

The crew burst out into laughter at this statement, knowing the chances of this were nonexistent. Their cruel master would never be persuaded to care for beasts. He was a man who acted only for self-benefit and had no mercy for anyone besides himself.

I popped my head up beside his. "Believe me when I say he is very persuasive."

Hiccup then lifted the grate, holding it up for me as I followed. "Once you've earned his loyalty, there is nothing a dragon won't do for you." He dropped the grate and put a hand on Toothless, scratching his nose affectionately.