Prologue

Berk has since changed from the Viking village it once was. We used to fight dragons and call them our enemies; now we ride dragons and call them our friends. Who knew the creatures which tormented us in the past would change our lives for the better?

I was timid, quiet and didn't make friends with the other children. I found my own company was sufficient to my needs and discovered common childhood trinkets were of no interest to me. My toys were not soft figures of vikings made of wool, but an empty journal I wrote in constantly to observe attacking dragons and their behaviors. That dragon journal was my prize possession. I never went outside to play, but read the Dragon Manual in the Great Hall, memorizing it to a greater extent every time.

That was four years ago, such a small time for a big change in Berk and myself. Instead of continuing to study dragons from a distance, I had one as a best friend who I spent all my time with and discovered new things about her constantly. Hiccup and I went searching for new islands regularly when we weren't competing against each other in the dragon races. He was the best rider Berk had, but I often challenged him for this title and we competed restlessly, trying to show the other up. It was friendly, but all the same, I knew he was better and I loved him for it.