Chapter 10

My vision went dark with the blindfold as we were lifted into the air. Drago held onto me tightly so I wouldn't fall off, but I had a feeling he wouldn't care if I did fall. The wind blew my hair and the smell of the ocean filled my nostrils. I breathed in deeply, glad for the fresh air, but it was not freedom. What I would give to be flying on Shadow beside Hiccup at that moment was just about anything.

We flew for a number of minutes before Drago's voice filled my left ear, "Here we are." He lifted my blindfold an inch so I could see my home-village. "Take one last look before it's destroyed." He dropped the cloth and darkness once again consumed me.

"Your chief is dead," Drago shouted, presumably to the people of Berk, but his voice was no longer next to me. I came from beside me as if he were riding another dragon. "No one can protect you now." The dragon below me released a fireball, the unexpected action causing me to fall on my butt.

"Look, it's Hiccup!" a voice from the land below shouted as cheers erupted from the village. My hopes began to rise.

"What?" Drago exclaimed. He obviously knew Hiccup would be in Berk, but something else must have caught him off guard.

The bleat of a sheep reached my ears, one that was very close, like it was flying with us. "Keep 'em coming!" Ruffnut's voice never sounded so good to me before.

"Black sheep, baby!" Snotlout was there too.

The beast below me was about to fire when the horn that announced the beginning of the dragon races sounded. More sheep bleats came and the dragon shook his head. From the significant shifting, I lost my position and began to slip down the front of its face, the sheep evidently going with me.

"Marish?" I heard Snotlout ask.

I shoved my feet out as I tried to gain my balance between the spikes on the alpha's head, but the attempt was difficult since my hands were tied and my eyes were covered by a cloth. I tried to say, "yeah, its me. Get me off of this thing!" but the gag muffled my words. Somehow, my feet each found a spike to stop my body from slipping, but they were so far apart that my legs formed a split.

"That looks like that hurts," Tuffnut said, apparently watching my performance. No kidding.

Drago shouted angrily, evidently indicating that an event did not occur in his favor.

My feet began to slip. Okay, Hiccup. Now would be a good time for one of your famous rescues. My heart beat faster and I screamed through the gag as I felt the air engulf me as I fell. I struggled in the air, trying to reach up with my bound hands to remove the blindfold. I succeeded in slipping it off my head and proceeded to shake my foot in an attempt to shake the dagger from my boot. If I can just get my dagger maybe I can break my hand bonds. . . I looked up as I felt a rush of air. Toothless flew toward my falling body and slipped beneath me for Hiccup to catch me in his arms.

"Hold on tight," he ordered, taking off my gag quickly and undoing my bound hands. There would be time for sappy comments later. "Now!" I held onto the sides of the saddle as he jumped from it, falling and deploying his flight suit. He flew past Drago who was now ordering dragons from the alpha's head, using his dragon blade to spray Zippleback gas around the horrid man. He then lit the gas on fire to create a massive explosion.

The fire knocked Drago from the alpha so that he fell to the ground.

The alpha dragon aggressively swung its tail, aiming for Hiccup as he glided. "Toothless, it's now or never!" Toothless suddenly split his dorsal blades, two appearing on each instead of the usual one. Whoa.

We flew above the swinging tail and caught Hiccup in midair so that he slid into the saddle smoothly as I wrapped my arms around him so as not to fall off. "Come on, bud!" he encouraged, the tail coming closer to us. "Hold on!" The tip of the tail just missed us as we passed and landed onto the ground nearby Drago. "Yeah! We did it!"

Drago reached out for his stick he needed to command the dragons, but Hiccup extended his dragon blade, throwing it between him and the stick. "Hold him there Toothless!" Toothless prepared to fire at Drago as we slid off his saddle, Hiccup supporting me with an arm. "It's all over now."

"Or is it?" Drago replied menacingly.

We turned around to see the alpha rising from the water, preparing to fire as well. "Oh, no!" Toothless leaped in front of us, shielding our bodies from the ice that engulfed all three of us.

I struggle to remember that moment when we were frozen between life and death and time seemed to freeze with us.

For those watching in fear, they witness a moment where the ice was shattered by Toothless's fire and his body glowed blue from beneath his black skin.

We were hidden under his wing and kept safe by thick scales. He looked back at us to ensure our safety though fury was in his eyes as he turned to the alpha with a roar of anger. "He's challenging the alpha!" Hiccup said, amazed.

"To protect you," Valka replied from his side.

Toothless fired continually at the alpha, avoiding its attempts to smash him with its tusks. The dragons around us broke from the trance the alpha had held them under as his authority faltered.

Drago clambered up the alpha's tusk to try to regain control. "No, no, no, no!" he shouted angrily. "Fight back! Fight! Fight!" he yelled at the dragons who had broken out of the trance and joined Toothless. "What's the matter with you?"

Hiccup hopped into Toothless's saddle once again, Valka supporting me with her arm now. "Now do you get it? This is what it is to earn a dragon's loyalty." All Berk watched in amazement. "Let this end now."

"Never!" Drago refused. "Come on!" He hit the alpha, forcing it to charge.

Toothless roared for the dragons behind him to prepare themselves. After releasing a blast at the beast, the other dragons joined in the firing and one by one, began a rebellion. The alpha dragon opened its mouth to fire a cold blast of ice, but Toothless cut him off by firing a blue blast into its mouth. The alpha was pushed back by the impact and a tusk broke off where it fell to the ground as the beast fell backward into the ocean.

With the battle won, Toothless roared and landed victoriously back on the ground. The dragons turned to Toothless and bowed to acknowledge their new alpha as he roared victoriously, joined by a crowd of roars.

Hiccup turned to his friend gratefully. "You never cease to amaze me, bud. Thank you." Toothless gurgled affectionately and licked his face. "Toothless!" He tried to wipe off the slime. "You know that doesn't wash out."

Everyone was reunited with their dragons, but Shadow was nowhere to be found. I walked away from Valka to find her. "Shadow?" I called her name, looking for the sandy-colored dragon. She walked up to me timidly, sniffing my wounds with concern and whining with sad eyes.

I smiled and hugged her. "I'm fine, girl." My legs wobbled and I almost fell, but was caught up in strong arms from behind. I looked up to see Hiccup's bright green eyes.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" He looked at me lovingly. "Let's never lose you again, okay?"

I smiled, putting my hand behind his neck and bending his head down for a kiss. "Never," I said after we parted.

Gothi, the village elder, tapped his shoulder and he lowered me to the ground gently. Shadow curled around me to support my back and I leaned back against her as Hiccup knelt as the elder had ordered. Gothi took the ashes from the ground and traced a Viking symbol on his forehead. He stood up and turned to the crowd, his eyes meeting mine with pride.

I smiled as Gobber shouted to Berk, "The chief has come home!" The people erupted with cheers, accepting their new chief. I stared at him as he stood marveling at the village. His village. Things would be run a little differently now, but it would be a good change. I was sure of it.

Berk changed and continued to change as Hiccup was chief and our relationship moved steadily on, taking one adventure at a time. Together. This chapter was just one of the many we faced. The middle of our story.