Chapter 2: I Will Never Kiss You Again

[AN: I hope you like this… Be sure to check out the note at the end of the chapter!]

[ANNIE’S POV]

I belted out the last note as I stood in the recording booth. I had just sang “Lightning” by The Wanted for Nathan Sykes of The Wanted. It was like some crazy dream. A year ago I would never have been here at all. Nathan had insisted that I show him my chops and sing something. I had been unable to think of a song, and he had quickly turned on the track for their song. Now I watched him through the glass of the recording booth waiting to hear his verdict.

“Well,” Nathan said holding down the speaker button so I could hear his voice in the booth. “Don’t tell anyone I ever said this, but Zayn Malik is right. You can sing.”

“Really?” I asked giggling as I walked out of the booth to join him. “You really think I can sing?”

“Honest truth? Yes. I thought maybe Zayn was just lying to get you to sleep with him, but it doesn’t appear that’s true.”

“Zayn doesn’t have to flatter me to get me into his bed.” Did I just say that out loud? That sounded so cool and confident. It was much better than the first few minutes of our time together when I had literally been drooling while looking at him. A girl can look okay?

“So,” Nath said patting the couch so I sat next to him. “Was Zayn your favorite member?”

“Um—why do you ask?” Nathan Sykes is sitting next to me on a couch! Inner squeal commencing!

“I’m trying to figure out what led you to him. He must be your favorite member or something right?”

“I kind of like all the boys. I don’t really have a favorite.”

“So I guess you don’t have a favorite out of my band then do you?” He looked so sad, and my face flushed. Should I tell him?

“Actually—you—you’re—you’remyfavoritemember!” I blurted out. He smiled that heartbreaking grin and I found my heart beating a little harder and faster. Stop it you traitorous heart! I’m with Zayn so just stop it!

“I’m glad to hear it,” he said brushing my hair from my eyes. “How serious are you and Zayn?”

“How serious? W—why do you ask?” I stuttered out. Damn his touch was confusing.

“Can  you blame me for hoping that things are on the rocks? You’re such a beautiful girl, and I wish I had met you before him.” Oh. My. God. Nathan Sykes is hitting on me! What do I do? What do I do? I heard Rihanna’s “Don’t Stop The Music” blaring from my phone. Zayn’s ringtone. I had made that his ringtone to remind myself of the time when I had started falling for him. I smiled at the phone and signaled for Nathan that I had to answer it. “I’ll go get us a snack,” he said standing and walking from the room with a wink.

“Hello?” I said answering the phone. My voice was still a little shaky from my conversation with Nathan.

“Annie?” Zayn’s soft voice carried over the line. “How much longer are you going to be? I miss you.” I smiled softly into the phone. He was so cute and needy sometimes.

“I told you,” I said. “I’m just running an errand.”

“I still don’t know why I couldn’t have come with you. I don’t like us being apart. Things aren’t right when I can’t hold you in my arms.” How adorable is my boyfriend right now?

“I’m sure you’re doing fine without me,” I said smiling as Nathan walked back in with some juice and snacks from a vending machine.

“Do you want the apple or orange juice?” Nathan asked rather loudly. I winced knowing Zayn must have heard him.