Chapter 10: An Easy Choice

[AN: I pray to God that you guys like this. I couldn’t take all the dark anymore. There is some, but not so much now.]

[ANNIE’S POV]

“Nathan show me how to record my voice again!” Kate giggled. I really hated that giggle. She had been giggling like a maniac for the past ten minutes. I can’t believe she made me bring her here. I would have left saying no if Louis and Liam hadn’t looked at me like that. I felt the nausea rise up as I thought about the ball of guilt resting at the bottom of my stomach.

“You just hit this button,” Nathan said with his sweet smile.

“Could we please get to work on this?” I snapped harder than I meant to.

“I think it’s so romantic that you’re putting together a song for Zayn for his birthday!” Kate gushed. “Is Nathan here to help you write it?”

“Um….no,” I admitted sheepishly. “I wrote it myself.”

“Oh. So he’s teaching you the recording equipment then?”

“I already figured that out before we met.” Why was I admitting this to her?

“So why exactly are you here then Nathan?” she asked now glaring at him. I had to stifle a laugh at how much she looked like Samantha in that moment. Same protective instincts and everything.

“I’m just helping out a friend,” Nathan said casually winking over at me. I felt a rush of warmth, but that same guilt still sat in my stomach.

“Sure,” Kate said tonelessly nodding her head. “Excuse us for a minute Nathan. I need to talk to Annie about something.” Then before I could even register her words she had pulled me out of the recording booth and into the hallway shutting the door.

“Kate, what’s wrong?” I asked noting her agitated state.

“Annie, what is wrong with you?” she hissed. “I know what you’re doing.”

“I’m recording a song for my boyfriend.” I shoved my hands in my pockets so she couldn’t see me shaking.

“Oh really? Because it looks to me like you are flirting with Nathan Sykes who I know is most definitely not your boyfriend.”

“I am not flirting.”

“Annie, cut the bullshit.” Nice language there Kate. “And don’t you dare make a statement about my language considering what is going on with you right now. You are flirting with Nathan when you have Zayn already.”

“Nathan is helping me out.”

“You just admitted to me that he is doing nothing at all to help you so stop using that excuse. Just admit to what you are doing.” I sighed deeply closing my eyes.

“Fine. We’ve been flirting, but it’s harmless. We’re just friends. Nathan knows that.”

“Does he?” I stayed quiet suddenly VERY interested in my shoes. “Annie, why are you doing this? You love Zayn right?”

“Of course,” I immediately responded. “He’s my world.”

“So why flirt with Nathan? What’s so much more special about him?”

“Well, it’s just different. He’s gorgeous and he treats me like a princess. Plus it’s kind of awesome knowing that a famous singer like him could be interested in me!”

“Okay, let’s compare then. Nathan is gorgeous and Zayn is gorgeous.” I nodded. “Nathan treats you like a princess and Zayn treats you like a princess.” I nodded again not liking where this was going. “And the last one. Nathan is a famous singer and part of The Wanted. While Zayn is a famous singer and part of One Direction. I’m not really seeing it Annie.” I really hated that she had a valid point.