12

The next morning

"Bzzzzzzzzzzz" my phone vibrated on my nightstand waking me out my sleep. I looked at the time and saw it was 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I remember Melo told me he had a game at 1:30 so I'm sure he was already playing. I feel bad that I didn't get to talk to him before the game. I get up and walk downstairs.

When I walk in the kitchen my mom was at the table handling some stuff for work. I sit down at the table with her.

Jackie: hey baby good afternoon.

Brandi: hey mom.

Jackie: is something wrong? Is this about your father showing up?

Brandi: yeah. I don't know why but I think I wanna hear what he has to say.

Jackie: honey I don't have the right to strip you away from the opportunity to build a real with your father but I will tell you be careful. Don't have expectations too high. But if you want to meet with him I have his number and I'll sit here while you call him.

Brandi: could we please.

My mom grabs her phone and scrolls through until she finds his number. She places the phone down while it rings.

Leon: hello?

Jackie: Leon it's Jackie.

Leon: hey yeah what's up?

Jackie: Brandi wants to speak to you.

Brandi: hello.

Leon: hey.

Brandi: ummm so I gave it some thought and I wanna hear what you have to say.

Leon: could I take you to get some lunch?

I look at my mom for advice and she nods her signaling maybe I should go.

Brandi: sure.

Leon: I could meet you in a hour.

Brandi: that works.

Leon: ok thanks.

Brandi: yep.

I hang up the phone and realize what I just did.

Brandi: mom what did I do?

Jackie: You're about to go to diner with your father honey.

I get up from the table and go change and put on some clothes.

               •~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

At dinner

Leon and I walk into this little ma and pa grill. We sit down and the waiter comes to take out drinks and order. I got a water with lemon and fries.

Leon: Brandi thx for coming.

Brandi: i came because I want answers.

Leon: you can get anything you wanna know answered.

Brandi: why?

Leon: why what?

Brandi: why'd you leave?

Leon: the absolute truth was because I had another family. Before I met your mom and we had you I had a wife and kids. When I found out one of my sons got sick I left. I know it wasn't right and I pulled a dick move but I loved your mom and I didn't want to involve her with my mess.

Brandi: what about me? You hurt me. I had to figure out that daddy wasn't coming back. Do you know how hard that was for me. And you did it with your other kids.

Leon: I don't know how that made you feel but I can guess that it wasn't a good feeling and I'm sorry. Brandi I really am and that's why I'm trying to make it right.

Brandi: so you're telling me that I have siblings I don't even know about?

Leon: yes, two brothers and a sister.

Brandi: could I see them?

He takes out his phone and goes to his camera roll. He shows me a picture of two little boys and a older looking girl.

Brandi: how old are they?

Leon: so Kayla is 25, Ryan is 9, and Reggie is 4.

Brandi: so they stay here?

Leon: yeah. I told Kayla about you and she wants to meet you.

Brandi: this is a lot to process.

Leon: I know I'm sorry. I just really wanna make things right. Not have my children not be together because of my fuck up. Even if you never forgive me and hate me at least live your siblings.

Brandi: I don't hate you. I just hate what you did. But that doesn't mean we can't try to fix things.

Leon: that would mean the world to me Brandi.

Brandi: we can talk more about it. But for now can I know who my father is?

Leon: sure anything you want to know.

For the rest of the lunch Leon and I talk about his life and my life.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•
Back at home

I get out the shower and lay down in bed. Today was long and I haven't talked to my baby all day. Dip was over at Zo's playing with Deuce. I grab my phone and ft Melo.

Melo: hello?

Brandi: hey baby I haven't talked to you all day. How was the game?

Melo: straight until I broke my finger.

Brandi: you broke your finger!?!?!?

Melo: yeah bro trying to block somebody. I been sleep all day cause the pills I've been taking.

Brandi: did you go to the hospital?

Melo: nah my dad said I need to play hurt so I just gotta wrap it and play through.

Brandi: sorry dip but I don't agree with your dad on this.

Melo: I know. But babe I got too

Brandi: what if you make it worse?

Melo: I'm not. Forget me. How was your day?

Brandi: I talked to my dad today.

Melo: and?

Brandi: it wasn't bad. I learned I have 3 siblings.

Melo: wow that's crazy.