chapter eighteen

My breath hitched in my throat as my face grew red

My breath hitched in my throat as my face grew red. "W-what?" I asked, coughing lightly.

"Oh, come on. Telling Natalie Seth in the bathroom at the mall? Very private, Kiya. Not to mention you were just whining into the groom's arms. Ruining his perfect day and all." She mocked a pout. I glanced over to see Michael, Nat, and Pete beginning to walk our way.

Natalie hated Ashley almost as much as the next person, and her along with Pete knew our bad blood. I mean, Pete was there when I got into that fight with her at school, so of course him seeing her next to Teddy and I when I was about to tell him caused warning bells to go off and for him to walk over here.

"Ky, is that true?" Teddy asked. My chest was tight, and I looked frantically from him, to Ashley, to the three people walking toward us.

"Oh, wait. Was this a secret?" Ashley asked, acting innocent.

"It's not a secret, just not your business!" I exclaimed, before turning and running out of the reception. It wasn't a fast run, but it was fast enough for me to get out of the building completely. I jumped into my car and drove off before anyone could catch up to me.

Where am I supposed to go now? The first place that Teddy and the others are going to think of going is my house, and I'm too scared to go back to the place the incident happened. That rules out going to the girls.

I realized that this was one of the first few times I've actually gone somewhere by myself, at least somewhere that isn't work or home. But then again, there was no way I was going to stay and get into another fight with Ashley, it was Pete's wedding. It was bad enough he encouraged me to tell him at the wedding and I had no idea how Teddy was going to react but it wouldn't have been big because it's still Teddy's job technically, and if he wants to keep that job he needs to look the part. And getting into an argument with a pregnant woman is not the way to do that.

Pulling over to the side of the road I made sure that the doors were locked and windows were up, turning the AC on. I gathered my thoughts before pulling my phone out of my clutch. Beginning to go through my contacts, I found someone that nobody would really expect me to call.

Nash.

He didn't pick up, and I groaned before calling the next possible person.

"Kennedy- oops I mean Kiya, sorry, what's up?" Beth asked. "I'm still used to calling you the other name, sorry."

"No no it's fine," I spoke. "I need someone, can you and Shelby meet me somewhere?" I sniffled.

"Uh, yes, yes of course! I'll get her now. Where do you want to meet?" She asked, and I heard shuffling on the other side of the line.

"Actually-" I stopped, making sure I was okay with my decision. "I can just pick you up. I don't want to stay there but I want to pick you guys up if that's okay."