chapter twenty one

My heart began to beat fast as I jumped, my eyes widening as I saw lots of people

My heart began to beat fast as I jumped, my eyes widening as I saw lots of people. There were decorations all along the house, and I furrowed my eyebrows. "What's going on?" I asked, looking around.

"It's your baby shower!" Natalie exclaimed, practically bouncing toward me.

"Baby shower?" I asked. "We don't even know if it's a boy or girl yet,"

"Well we do, but you didn't want to know yet. Remember?" My mom asked, "You wanted to have a reveal and we never had one, so we're having one now mixed in with your shower!"

"Oh," I mumbled. "Right." Part of me was scared to know the gender, because what if it's a boy? What if the boy comes out looking just like the man?

"Let's do this!" Nora shouted, causing everyone else to yell happily. My dad pulled on my arm, pulling me to the side while everyone began to mingle together.

"You good sport?" He asked, looking at me with a worried expression. I just shrugged, tears welling up in my eyes. "You don't look good."

"I just- I'm scared, dad," I mumbled. "I've been doing really good at hiding how scared and nervous I am, but I really am scared."

"That's fine, your mother was scared to death when she was pregnant with you," He spoke, pulling me into his arms. I sighed as I hugged him, loving the embrace. I haven't had the chance to be around my parents as much as I used to, and it's really taking a toll on me.

"I needed this," I admitted.

"Everyone needs a hug sometimes." He shrugged, and I pulled away from him. "But, let's figure out if we're having a little boy or girl." We walked outside, where they had a box that was painted blue on one side and pink on the other, and my nerves got worse.

"Go on," I heard my mother push me from behind, and I took in a deep breath as I walked up to the box by myself. Everyone was watching me, and I made eye contact with Teddy who urged me to go on. I motioned for him to come up to me and even though his face was confused he obliged anyway.

"I don't want to do this without you," I mumbled, and he smiled a cute smile. We both gently began to open the box, Teddy on the blue side while I was on the pink side.

"Wait!" Natalie called, catching out attention. We looked to her and she smiled a nervous smile. "Shouldn't we vote whether we think it's going to be a boy or a girl?"

"If you think it's a boy stand on Teddy's side, Kiya's if you think it's a girl," Nash suggested, and everyone agreed. Most people stood on the girl side, with a select few standing on the boy side.

Looking to Teddy, he nodded at me and we gently opened the a box, a mixture of pink and blue balloons coming out of the box. There was one giant black balloon and Teddy grabbed it, before handing me a needle to pop it with. My hands were shaky as I took it from him, and I'm pretty sure he noticed but didn't say anything due to not wanting to make things worse for me.