XIV - CAMARADERIE

CHAPTER FOURTEEN - CAMARADERIE

NOURI WANTED to go out for pizza with Namjoon—she really did. Yet, when she made the initial agreement to her mother's abrupt plan, the fact that she was currently suffering from a mild cold had temporarily slipped from her mind.

As much as her stuffy nose and watery eyes made her want to politely ask for a rain check on the outing, she couldn't muster up the courage to say so to Namjoon. After an hour or so of the two working together on the case, his anticipation had begun to grow more by the moment at the idea of trying out New York style pizza. He even had a menu pulled up on his phone, and had spent the past ten minutes looking up reviews on the best toppings to try.

How in the world was she supposed to tell him that she wanted to stay home when he looked so excited?

She'd just have to suck it up.

Leaving Namjoon at the kitchen table to deliberate over whether or not they should order green peppers or red peppers on their pizza—a decision which he seemed to take very seriously—Nouri had slipped back to the bathroom and attempted to make herself more presentable. After a bit of makeup and a quick change into some jeans, she looked a little less like she was on the verge of death.

"Hey," Namjoon said to her as she walked back into the living room. He smiled teasingly at her. "You clean up nicely."

She started to laugh, but it quickly led to a coughing fit. His smile was soon gone as his brows drew together in concern.

"Are you okay?" He stood and moved as if he planned to pat her on the back in effort to help, but seemed to decide against it, leaving his hand hovering awkwardly in midair.

She nodded, although she continued to cough a few more times. "Fine," she breathed out once her lungs decided to give her a break.

"I totally forgot that you were sick," he said once she had regained her composure. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. My own mother forgot too—the whole pizza thing was her idea after all."

"Oh—right, we can forget the pizza. You're not feeling well, I should have thought of that before agreeing to the plan."

Nouri shook her head and sat down on the sofa. "It's fine, Joonie. I just have a little cold. Besides, with everything that's been going on lately, we could use a little break."

She gestured for him to resume his place on the sofa—the place where he had been sitting before her onslaught of hacking and coughing. Seemingly reluctant, he did as she encouraged and said, "If you're sure."

"I am," she assured, kicking her feet up on the coffee table. With a glance cast towards the clock, she figured they'd need to leave within the next forty minutes or so. Hopefully that would give her enough time to feel somewhat better before she made her way into the general public.

A ding from Namjoon's phone drew both of their attention, though Nouri was quick to avert her gaze, as she wanted to avoid any possible accusations of eavesdropping.

"It's Yoongi," he informed a moment later. "He was wondering if I had any dinner plans. Usually he crashes at my place on Friday nights when he's not on duty, but I guess today will be an exception."

"Why don't you ask him to tag along with us to the pizza place? Hoseok too," Nouri suggested.

Namjoon's facial expression turned glum. "You know, I can't tell if you're joking or not, but it isn't very funny."

"What? I thought you were upset by having to change up your Friday tradition of hanging out with Yoongi."

"I don't know where you got that idea from, because I was actually elated by the idea of having tonight off from Yoongi's never-ending supply of insults and his salty attitude."