_20_

Amara Williams
6:42 AM.
1 week later...

Me and Quinton have been trying to keep our distance. We don't talk, we try and avoid being in the same room and when we are it's awkward. We're scared to look at each other. It's weird to say but I actually miss him. Maybe that's why he was so mean to me. Maybe he thought if he was nice to me then what happened last week might have happened sooner.

People are starting to notice the way we don't speak to each other anymore. I can't like Quinton. He's like my step brother, not even 'like' that's what he is. This is like some Alabama shit.

We sat at the breakfast table quiet. Usually Quinton and I would start the morning with a little bickering, maybe some fun insults. Without that it's like the morning hasn't even started yet.

"So uh... did anyone look at the weather for today?" James asked.

"Yeah... cloudy," Alana replied.

"You all got any plans for the weekend?" Lynn asked.

"I'm taking Melanie to the fair tonight so I'm gonna need to use one of your cars," Kaden said.

"You went out with her last Friday," James said as if doing it again this Friday is too much.

"Yeah... and? What am I supposed to do wait a year before takin her out again?" He said.

"You can use my car, I'll give you the keys after school," Quinton said causing everybody to look at each other.

Quinton barely let you have a crumb from his bag of chips let alone let you use his car.

"What? I can not give you the keys-"

"No it's just you don't usually give people shit-"

"Kaden!" James cut him off for cussing.

"I'm not usin it tonight so I don't see the point in keepin it. But if somethin happens to it I will kill you," he said glaring at Kaden.

When I got to school immediately I just wanted to go home but I didn't want to go home because then I'd have to deal with avoiding Quinton. I sat in Geometry with Jacob and I've barely even been talking to him.

"Hey are we still on for tonight?" He asked snatching me out of my thoughts.

"What?"

"Our date? I asked you about going to the fair..."

"Right, Yeah," I said.

I completely forgot about my date with Jacob. Maybe this is what I needed to get my mind off of Quinton. Maybe I needed something normal like this.

When I got home I went upstairs immediately searching for something to wear. I just put on an all white flannel and made it come off the shoulders before tying it right above my belly button. I put on some baggy ripped jeans that cuffed at the ankles before strapping on my white laced up heels. I wore my hair curly.

Just as I was finishing my make up I heard someone ring the doorbell. I tried to rush downstairs but I was too late. Quinton had already opened the door.

"The fuck are you doin here?" Quinton said not letting Jacob walk in.

"I'm here to pick up Amara," Jacob answered.

"Why?" Quinton asked crossing his arms over his chest.

"We're goin on a date-"

"Hey," I said as I walked up to the two.

"Hey, you look beautiful," Jacob complimented causing Quinton to tense.

"Thank you," I said as I stepped outside.