When Will My Husband Return From War

Killua might have been hungover, but he was alive and didn't feel godawful. He already felt guilty for calling in sick, so when he called in again, it was to go back on his word. His manager said, "If you're feeling sick—"

"I lied," Killua sighed. "I'm fine this morning, really. I'd just like to work today, if that's okay?"

His manager hummed through the phone. Killua bit his lip as she said, "Well... you're already up at the ass-crack of dawn. Might as well."

"Thank you," Killua breathed. "I'll call the girl who was supposed to cover for me, let her know she doesn't have to come in."

Thus was how Killua spent his Friday morning, pulling shots and mixing tea. He was grateful for the distraction. His OChem exam was that afternoon and he found that it was easier to focus on it when he didn't spend the entire morning cramming for it. Starbucks was a welcome distraction, even if the throbbing in his head said otherwise.

He crouched in front of the cashier, tearing open a fresh bag of cups. As he refilled the cup holder, he stopped at the sound of Freecss' voice on the other side of the counter.

"Large matcha latte, light ice, and..."

"No foam?" a girl said.

Killua twisted the bag like he was wringing someone's neck.

"Right. And a triple shot latte, no foam, please."

Gon was sticking his card into the machine when Killua emerged from beneath the counter. The instant he came into view, both Gon and the girl jumped like they were in a goddamn haunted house. Killua stared blankly at them until the card machine beeped and Gon scrambled to put his card away.

"K-Killua! I thought—I thought you called in sick?" Gon said.

Killua yanked the knot on the bag tight. His coworker flinched and smiled apologetically for him as Killua went to the backroom to put it away.

He wished he could slam the backroom door shut—he probably could, but that'd be suspicious. When he was out of view of the counter, Killua put his hand to his hair and let out a shuddering breath. It felt like someone had his esophagus in their fist and was shaking it. He swallowed hard.

He checked the clock on the wall and realized that Gon had come in earlier than usual. Gon's comment confirmed it—he wouldn't have come in with his date had he known Killua was there. That just makes it worse, Killua thought, furious. Why did it even matter to him? He had gone a few days thinking that he'd be able to handle it if Gon dated other people, but...

They'd only known each other for two weeks. I have to stop acting entitled, he told himself, but Kurapika's still right: Gon's still a bitch.

When Killua emerged from the backroom, he resumed his place in the espresso assembly line. He picked up Gon's cup and set to work. He dumped out the used grounds from the last shot and pulled fresh grounds out. He latched it into the machine, aware that Gon was standing in front of him, peering over the espresso machine at him.

"I'm... going to Colorado after this," Gon said.

Killua kept his eyes on the machine switch. Yorknew University was going up against Denver on Saturday, he knew that. In fact, his parents had tickets to that game, one of which was withheld from him. Killua figured that if he was still at Yorknew Law, he would have been spending this weekend in Colorado, too.

Killua wiped down the steamer spout and drizzled milk into Gon's drink. He held the foam back before sliding the drink across the counter to where his coworker called Gon's name. Killua met Gon's eyes before the idiot moved to claim the drink. The girl stood there looking between the two of them before picking up her green tea with a frown.