12. A Step Closer

There was no way sleep would come to Zoya that night, she knew it beforehand. She was sitting still, watching the destruction of a man sleeping soundlessly in her lap, his hand clasped tightly around hers, like he was afraid she would leave. He was still in his wet clothes, and Zoya was afraid he would catch a cold but she couldn't make herself to move. Aditya looked so scared even in his sleep that her heart bled at his sight. She had no idea for long had he wept in her hold, because she could still make out those tear marks on his face, and it had been hours since she kept her foot into his apartment.

What did he to do to sign up for so much hurt and tears in his life?

She wondered if she would ever be able to meet the Aditya he actually was, the goofy child Pooja tackled and later blamed her betrayal on, the cranky foodie Sakshi talked about, the funny brother Arjun missed. Zoya had never met him, if she didn't count their chance encounter at that gift shop which lasted fewe minutes. She had met the wounded Aditya who was later camaflouged into another playing mature version of his. He had lost himself the same night she did, but she came around for better, and he, for worse.

Zoya tried to fiddle her phone out of her handbag that she had dropped on his bed before, wanting to know the time but the battery had died out. Carefully placing Aditya's head on the pillow she grabbed from behind, she got up and put it into charge. Sighing deeply, she turned around to look at the room. He hadn't unpacked yet, and she couldn't sleep. She needed something to put her mind into, hence she decided to do the honours for him.

Aditya had just one trolley and another travel bag kept in one corner of the room. She pulled the trolley open, and started to arrange whatever clothes he had brought with himself in the wooden cupboard of the room. Beneath his clothes and his toiletries were a few photo frames. She smiled when she saw the picture of him with his parents and Arjun, it was from their anniversary celebration night. There was another one with Pooja and Aditya kissing either cheeks of Sakshi. She also found one of the group picture with all the Zosh employees and at last, her eyes fell on their picture.

It was from their little dance practice before the huge anniversary celebration for the Hoodas

It was from their little dance practice before the huge anniversary celebration for the Hoodas. She didn't even know that the picture had been clicked and it seemed neither did he, but for the first time Zoya watched his love evident on his face, and her own expressions weren't very different either. She also remembered the night that had followed, it was the same night Aditya had beaten up the guy at that club.

"Hum kitne bade aimak h Aditya, hamare alawa sabko aapka aur hamara pyaar dikh rha tha, aur hum use dosti me dhakne ki kosis kar rhe the", she talked to herself, shaking her head, before hanging all the frames on the side walls. Then she took the other bag and opened it, only to find Pooja's diary sitting at the top.

A deep sigh escaped her, when she ran her hand over the tattered pages of the diary. She didn't think he would keep it with him still, after everything he had gone through reading it. She still trembled when she was reminded of that night when he had locked himself up in his room after the confrontation with Sakshi. The empty look in his eyes the next morning, outside the courtroom, still hanuted her.