17. Too Many Cracks

ZOSH, DAY 7 contd. NIGHT TIME.

Zoya fell down on the couch, exhausted. The night had been a huge success, she had heard only praises the entire time. From the decorations to Heena designs and from Sangeet songs to the couple dances, every bit of the evening was as special as Anant and Nisha wanted it to be. Zoya was very happy, because she knew along side appreciation she also impressed potential clients for this was a VIP wedding. At the same time, she was dead tired. So was every other employee. Her gaze ransacked through others to find the man she knew was most important for the success of the event, Aditya.

She found him serving the left over snacks to her staff. It was almost midnight and everybody was exhausted, so he was taking care they had something to eat and a convenience to go home because next morning was supposed be Haldi, they needed rest.

Zoya stared at him as her mind travelled back to her first big event, and she remembered him messing it up for her and then making it up too; typical Aditya. That evening she was busy searching Yash in his dance but today as she recollected his Jogi-Mahi moves, all she could see was the confidence with which he carried himself, the confidence that was somewhere lost. She hadn't seen him shake a leg the entire evening, he was too pre occupied with managing everything to perfection, and though it was for her very benefit, Zoya didn't like it.

"Zoya!!", Aditya's voice brought her out of her thoughts and she blinked, finding him hovering over her with a plate of food in his hand.

Shaking his head, he sat beside her on the couch and forwarded a spoonful of noodles for her. Of everything he could feed her he had brought noodles and it brought an instant smile on Zoya's face. She forgot all her worries for a few seconds as she hungrily gobbled it making Aditya laugh.

"Aree, slowly!", he rubbed her back and gave her water when she started coughing, making faces at her. Zoya bit her lip embarrassed and started eating slow, feeding him too in between. They had the dinner in silence but with smiles on their faces.

"Kitni Ajeeb baat hai na Aditya? We never appreciate these small moments of togetherness, of happiness until we loose them forever!", Zoya stared into his eyes and Aditya, looked back, a little surprised but agreeing to her nonetheless

"Maybe that's why they say we don't learn the value of things until they are lost forever", he exhaled, not meeting her eyes, his mind having a conversation of his own. Flashes of his happy moments with Pooja clouded his mind as he thought about his life before the accident, when he was content with Pooja, and he couldn't even pin point when Pooja's hearty laughs and smiles lost their charm. He could not see when his Maa-in-law began hiding things from him, he didn't even realise she was held captive for so many days while he was video calling her. He thought about his mother, the lady he loved so much but probably never expressed enough for her to go so insecure of him. And lastly he thought about the day of Zoya's nikah, when he had almost lost her forever. What was that ache felt like? Like he was being burnt alive.