19. The avalanche

Day 25, evening 5 pm. City hospital.

Roshna felt her eyes stinging when she took the disheveled state of her daughter sitting right outside the ICU. Zoya looked like she would collapse any minute now, she was still shivering from the impact.

"Zoya beta", Roshna called out and Zoya immediately looked up before standing up to hug her mother, breaking down in her warm embrace

"Ammi, Adi-Aditya!!! Save him, Ammi. Hum unke bina mar jayenge Ammi", Zoya cried her heart out and the her heart wrenching sobs made Noor who was standing at a little distance cry harder. Arjun wrapped his arm around her, trying to stay strong but the way his mother's shoulders shook sitting right in front of him and the defeated look in his father's eyes made it really difficult.

(I will die without him mother)

Waseem Siddaqui stood at a distance, for the first time contemplating if his actions earlier and today had been in the right place, if he was the reason of the Devastation he could see in front of his eyes in that moment.

Zoya drank a sip of water from her mother's hand before breaking into sobs again, her mind going back to the beginning of the day that had started on such a good note...!

Day 25, Aditya's apartment. 12 noon (flashback to the earlier part of the day)

Zoya was sitting on the kitchen counter and sipping her black coffee while munching chips, as her eyes took in Aditya who was working on the Biryani she had graciously and kiddishly asked him for, occasionally stopping only to have the coffee soaked potato chips Zoya would forward him.

"Hume aapke haath ki Biryani khani h Aditya!", that was her request, with batting some eyelashes and tilting her head when she had made that cute little pleading face and Aditya had given in. That was the least he could do for his Zoya.
( I want to eat biryani cooked by you)

As he worked in the kitchen, he was aware of the constant stare that was digging holes in the back of his head. It wasn't that he was not aware of what Zoya was trying to do, and Zoya knew that he knew too. Both of them knew each other too well for their liking. But Aditya knew he could not run from his past and those memories forever, so when Zoya had started making this kiddish but adorable demands from him almost a week back, asking him to make her food, that ranged from Coffee on the first day to full fledged Biryani today, Aditya had given in. She was trying to make new memories for him, and at the same time bring him back to what he used to love doing, and Aditya didn't relent. Instead, he cooperated, taking baby steps but walking forward. The fact that Pooja and Zoya's cuisine choices were entirely different, helped a lot because he didn't need to revisit any of his and Pooja's kitchen adventures, and rather enjoyed discovering new ones with Zoya.

 The fact that Pooja and Zoya's cuisine choices were entirely different, helped a lot because he didn't need to revisit any of his and Pooja's kitchen adventures, and rather enjoyed discovering new ones with Zoya