THREE| we're not alone

4 months agoThe Ark

4 months ago
The Ark

I could feel the clock ticking against me as I hurried through the halls of Alpha Station. Beads of sweat coated my forehead as I kept my eyes down. The pistol hidden away in my jacket rubbed against my side as I turned the corner that led to Jaha's office. I stopped outside his door, breathing deeply as I wondered if I could actually kill him. Could I really pull the trigger? Would Diana Sydney follow through with her word? I had no idea what I was doing. My mind was clouded with the single thought that this was the only way to save my father from being floated in twenty minutes. 

With one last shaky breath, I knocked on his door. My heart pounded as it opened. Jaha greeted me, and I stepped inside, "If you're here to ask me to pardon your father again, I've already said-"

"I'm not here for that," I answered as I faced him. "You've made it clear that no matter what, you're going to kill an innocent man without even giving him a trial."

Jaha sighed, "He had a knife, Harley."

"That someone planted on him!" I exclaimed. "This is all Diana's big plot. Don't you see that?"

"Okay, well tell me the name of the person framing him, and we can have a trial," Jaha saw that I didn't know the name. "Harley, I want to save your father, but with no proof of what you're saying, there's nothing I can do."

Realizing Jaha wouldn't budge, I felt a heavy weight on my chest as I slowly began to move my hand towards the gun, "I understand."

Then, before my fingertips even touched the gun, the door of the Chancellor's office slid openly briskly as guards filed into the room. They came at me, grabbing me without explanation as I struggled against them.

"What is the meaning of this?" I heard the Chancellor ask.

My gaze hardened when I saw Diana Sydney walking into the room behind the guards with a smug look on her face, "Check her jacket."

One of the guards reached into my jacket, pulling out the pistol Diana gave to me. I shook my head as Jaha looked at me with disbelief, "You've got to be kidding me," I told her angrily. "She's the one who gave me the gun! She wants you dead, Jaha, all so she can become Chancellor again!"

"Oh, you poor girl," Diana said with fake sympathy. "You're so desperate to save your father. You'll say anything to prove his innocence, even though everyone knows he's guilty."

Jaha examined the gun before turning to where the guards drug me to my feet, "Guards, take Harley Winters to the SkyBox."

"No," I let out as the guards dragged me away. My eyes locked with Diana Sydney as she stood beside the Chancellor, grinning slightly. Anger, desperation, and denial took over my body as I realized my father was going to die. "I'll never forgive you for this, Jaha! You son of a bitch! I hate you!"